22. The Darkness' Beckoning

Start from the beginning

"What about Prince Jeonghan of Stormhill? any word from him? They promised to help in exchange for the alliance but when we need them the most they're nowhere to be seen!"

"So what? We have no need of them! Did you forget that Elios was and still is the most superior among the five kingdoms? Our military strength and defense is unmatched!"

"Yes but while skills and strength are important, so are numbers. The reconnaissance said that Mirador has eighteen thousand men, at the very least? We only have a little more than half of that! King Taeyong must've been preparing everything from the very beginning. Even the other kingdoms are wimping out already."

Namjoon releases a sigh. He's not even the one debating over this but watching the group of officials in front of him argue over this instead of bringing in any useful points or suggestions is already draining out his energy.

Looking to his side at the princess, with the way she's rubbing her temples with her eyes closed in deep concentration, she must be sharing the same sentiments as well. Her shoulders are rising and falling at an unusually fast rate, and Namjoon can only imagine how pressured she feels by the subtle shuddering of her folded hands.

Still, he asks, "Are you alright Saeron?"

Saeron finally looks up, her eyes darting around the room at the other officials who have now quieted down, waiting for her to speak.

"I'm thinking. These officials just won't stop blabbering," she mumbles with much distaste, not loud enough for them to catch but enough for Namjoon to acknowledge.

"It could be that they're still taking some time to respond! Word that travels by horse will take at least a day. Stop heaving nonsense from your trashy mouths on our sacred alliance! If we had known beforehand that King Taeyong would camp his entire army outside our borders we would've made preparations sooner. But the man is clever, he held our spies and reconnaissance hostage until the very last minute!"

"The king isn't even here to guide us! What are we supposed to do now?"

"We have the princess, unless you're doubting her capabilities," Taehyung finally speaks up from where he had been standing by the window across the room from the long oval table.

The same official that had asked for the king turns to the princess, muttering, "I am in no way implying that, but now that you've mentioned it, what does she know of battle?"

"And what do you know, my lord, other than deliberately mocking someone of royal blood? If we weren't in such a critical position we would have your tongue cut off now."

Saeron sucks in a deep breath. She knows that half of these officials already doubt her leadership. After all, they were the ones who probably hoped that Queen Han would give birth to a son instead of a daughter.

The official purses his lips, and the others remain silent as well. Saeron traces her eyes on the maps laid out on the table, staring down at them hard as if they hold all the answers to their conflict.

It's not like she hadn't been given a choice. A marriage, or war. It's two simple choices with carrying difficult meanings.

If she could spare thousands of people from plunging into immediate deaths...

"Now, instead of relying so much on whether or not the other kingdoms would want to help, why don't we focus on our own battle strategy? Any suggestions that can be of use?" Taehyung asks, his raspy voice pulling her out of her short trance.

It seems to be his line of patience has finally snapped, if the way his eyes pierce into each one of the officials' faces is any indication. The coldness of his glare is enough to make them gulp and look away.