Chapter Two | Better

Clay forced himself out of bed when he noticed the time and headed downstairs looking for his dad, but he was nowhere to be found. Debating whether or not to look for his dad, he decided he didn't want to be late.

Rushing out the door, he was about to get into his car when a man in a suit walked up to him. "Um, hello...?" Clay muttered, hoping the strange man would go away. Clay wasn't the most sociable person, so this conversation was stressful for him. "Clay, is it?" the man asked. In an instant Clay wanted to run;

How did he know my name? Why was he here?

Clay fought the urge to run and instead spoke, "Uh.. Yeah. Is there anything I can help you with?" He got bad vibes from the man, and he regretted not trusting his instincts earlier. He wouldn't be in this uncomfortable situation if he had.

"Not at the moment, no... is your father home?" The man spoke with an air of formality peering behind Clay. Clay blinked.

Does my dad know him?

Clay took a deep breath, trying to remain calm and collected, but the man's intense stare was making him uneasy. He couldn't just run away, but he also couldn't reveal anything personal to a stranger.

"No, he's not home right now," Clay replied nervously. The man continued to scrutinize him, as if trying to read his thoughts. "Why do you ask?" Clay tried to sound nonchalant, but his voice trembled slightly.

"Have you experienced any unusual occurrences recently, Clay?" The man's tone was serious, and Clay couldn't help but feel a chill run down his spine.

He didn't know what my dad was doing to me right? There's no way, we just met! Did he know something I didn't?  He can't know...there's no way! I told no one... Maybe they could hear yelling from outside?

Clay held his breath, "Um... not rea–" The man cut him off, "Nothing like, per se... violent outbursts?"

What does he mean by violent outbursts? Like throwing things? Yelling?

"Not sure what you're talking about but uh...Sorry, I have to go," Clay rushed past to his car, reprieving to let out a straggling breath once inside.

The suited man continued to eye him as he pulled out of the driveway, Clay wanted to see George, he didn't know why, but maybe he would make everything better?

"Hey there, Clay!" George smiled at him. Clay tried to smile back, but it was clear he was still shaken up from earlier.

George frowned; he knew something was bothering him. "What's wrong?" George looked concerned and it made Clay feel queasy.

"It's nothing, really... Just- Someone I met earlier today worried me, that's a-" George stopped Clay from speaking further, "Who was it?" George was worried for Clay, it was clear as day.

George can't know...

Clay would lose everything he cared for and he couldn't handle losing anything else.

"Just some... Guy showed up at my house out of nowhere. No big deal."

George froze, "Wait, was he in a suit?" Clay didn't know how to react, George couldn't have been there... Does he live near Clay?

Did he hear what happened?

Has he met Clay's dad? George put his hand on Clay's shoulder. "Hey, it's alright now, calm down. I was going to say that I saw a guy like that yesterday," Clay let his breathing calm,

He didn't hear or see my dad, thank god,

"Hey, do you want to come over?" George's voice had a calming effect on Clay. After a moment of hesitation, Clay reluctantly agreed, not wanting to face his dad.