Chapter 16- The Mark (This Past Year)

I sat next to my father in a compartment in the teacher's section of the Hogswarts express. We were alone.

"Listen Serena." He whispered. "I think it's about time you know. I'm a deatheater."

"You mean one of those people that work for Voldemort??" I failed at whispering.

"Shh. Yes Serena. You're nearly fifteen, I believe you're old enough to make your decision."

"Of being a deatheater...?" I was very hesitant. Deatheaters are regularly arrested, and the punishment for being one is going to Azkaban. I'm too young to go to Azkaban. But then I look at my father and realize he's probably been one for years, he's not in Azkaban, and he'd surely keep me safe. 

"Yes. But before you make your decision, there's a few things you must know first. You are given a permanant mark, the dark mark. You must obey the dark lord's orders. I cannot protect you from his wrath, which I hope you will do your best to obey him to avoid his wrath. Also, just like I can't interfere with what he does to you, you cannot interfere with what he does to me. And finally, although I think you already know this, you are forbidden from giving away the names or identities of any of the deatheaters to those who are not one."

I took a second to take in everything he said. "Sounds to me like being a deatheater is being Voldemort's slave." I thought outloud. "Why have you told me that you're a deatheater? Doesn't that go against what you just said?"

"Because you're my daughter Serena, and I trust you."

"I'd like to be alone for a minute." He nodded and left the compartment. 

Me? A deatheater. No! I can't! But, what if I can? All my life I've been searching for my father's approval; and although it may look as if I have it on the surface, inside I know I don't. This could be the way, this could be my chance. There was just one problem...

Father walked back in. "Need more time?" I shook my head 'no'.

"Just one question. I thought," I put my voice back down to a whisper, "I thought Voldemort was gone."

"He his, but not completly. At the end of the term, during the third event of the triwizard tornament, more of his followers will gather to bring him back. And he wants you there, if you agree to all this."

"Wait, he knows about me?" I began to panic, hyperventilate. 

"Yes. He asked for you." He stood up and switched which side of the compartment he was sitting on so that he was sitting next to me. "Calm down, he said he will not be offended if you were to say no. But as you said when I came back in, you've already made your decision. What is it?"

Now I wasn't so sure. But I couldn't go back on it. Besides, this is my one chance afterall. I nodded my head ever so slightly. "Just one question. When do I get the mark...?"

"This summer. After the dark lord has come back to us."