Chapter 24- Umbridge, Part 2

Upon my return to Hogwarts, everything was just as it had been in the previous term. Umbridge still hated me and was trying to fail me, Draco was still keeping his distance, Father was just as strict as ever with my marks. However, one thing did thankfully change. Goyle. Ever since that party over Holiday, I found myself unable to stop thinking about him. We were constantly together now, practically attached at the hip. My father quickly noticed, and insisted I keep my mind off boys and on my studies. But I needed some happiness in my life now, and Goyle was becoming that happiness. Besides, you'd think father would be happy with me growing closer to Goyle, since the opposite would bring up the possibility of him telling the Ministry about my mark. I trusted Goyle enough myself to know he wouldn't do that, but my father on the other hand doesn't trust anyone, not even me, except himself. 

Not long after the term began did I receive news of the prisoner outbreak from Azkaban. Among the prisoners was Bellatrix LeStrange. Although she wasn't an actual relative of mine, I still considered her an aunt as she had been around the Malfoy Manor at times while I was little. Her breakout only increased my happiness, and, for some odd reason, I looked forward to telling her that I too was a death eater. At least she was one person I knew would have a positive reaction to it. 

One afternoon, Goyle and I were hidden among one of the smaller hallways of Hogwarts. Classes were in session, but neither of us had one to attend. I found myself giggling at his jokes. I never giggled before, but he was changing parts of me. All of a sudden I cared about my appearance. When I got ready in the morning, I did so with him in mind. I looked forward to seeing him after classes, and became saddened when we had to part. 

"Goyle, can you do me a favor?" I asked as we sat close together, probably much too close by my father's standards. 

"As long as you can do me one. Call me Gregory. Everyone always calls me by my last name, I feel like I never hear my first name anymore."

 I nodded. "Okay. Gregory. Could you possibly talk to Professor Umbridge for me? She has it out for me, I know she does. And I also know that you're one of her favorites."

"All of Slytherin is her favorite."

"All except for me. And it's all because of that stupid note. Why would I bother forging a note?"

I watched as he nodded as he listened before responding. "I'll talk to her, but I'm not sure what difference it would make. You know her, she's very determined. Once she puts her mind to something, she won't stop until she reaches that goal. Like that pathetic little army Potter had put together. It took her a while, but she finally found the proof she needed."

"And now she's going to become headmaster." I muttered under my breath. I checked the clock on the wall by us and sighed. "C'mon," I stood up and reached my hand out for his, "we're going to be late for Defense Against the Dark Arts if we don't head over soon." He nodded and took my hand, using it to help himself stand up. We walked down the small hallway in peaceful silence until we were almost to where it opened up to a larger more crowded hallway. 

Squeezing my hand, he turned to face me and gave me a quick kiss. "I'll see you in there." I smiled, stood on my tip toes to kiss him one more time before walking out into the hallway and joining the other students. We had agreed to keep us private, and away from prying eyes. He was a little upset when I brought this up, saying I wanted it so Draco wouldn't know, but eventually he felt the same way. Kept things simple in class, and for my family life. My father was already breathing down my neck for just spending more time with Goyle...with Gregor. I didn't need him getting worse with knowing that the two of us had become a thing. 

I sat more towards the back of the classroom, something I had started doing since the term began back up. Gregory walked in a minute later, sitting in the seat in front of me. I pulled my new defensive spells book out of my bag and placed it on my lap to read before class had begun. If Professor Umbridge wasn't going to teach us defensive skills, then I'd take Draco's advice from a few months ago and teach it to myself. I still paid attention once class began, but allowed myself to quickly look down and read a few lines whenever she began to talk about the Ministry. As far as I was concerned, the Ministry was corrupt and would not help me defend myself. I glanced at the clock, still three more minutes before class began, I could get another page or two done. I was so focused on the book, I didn't notice the soft click of dress shoes walking towards me, nor did I notice the body standing over me.

"Ahem." I looked up and saw Professor Umbridge standing there with her arms folded, tapping her foot impatiently. I glanced at the clock, two minutes left. Class hadn't begun yet, what could I possibly be getting in trouble for? There was no assignment to turn in today, at least I don't remember there being an assignment. "What are you reading Miss Snape?"

"A book?" Soft laughter began around me, something quickly silenced by a look from Umbridge, with which all the students turned back towards the front of the room in their seats. No doubt they were still listening though. I hadn't meant to be sassy or funny or anything, I just honestly didn't understand what she was asking.

"Do you think you're funny Miss Snape?" Well, at least that stupid smile of hers was gone. But now I wasn't sure which I hated more, her smile or the look she was giving me in this moment. Before I had a chance to respond, she snatched the book from my hands and read over the title. "This type of book is not allowed in my classroom. Detention tonight at 6pm." Great. Right during dinner. She began to walk towards the front of the room, my book still in her hands.

"Could I at least have my book back?" Once she had reached the front of the room, she turned around and her stupid smile was back. She looked directly at me as she dropped the book into a garbage pail next to her desk. I was enraged, and as I sat in my seat for the rest of class, I couldn't even get myself to focus. I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as I could. This woman was a monster. It's as if she's trying to kill us by ensuring we won't be able to defend ourselves against attacks. 

The second the class was over, I gathered the stuff I still had and swiftly left. I hurried down the main hallways, not even bother to go down the small side hallway I usually met Gregory in after that class. I hurried to my dorm and slammed my door shut. My arms went limp and dropped everything they were holding while my legs gave out and allowed my body to just flop down on my bed. The rumors of Umbridge's detentions were getting worse, and although I hate to admit it, I was terrified. I buried my head into my pillow, not even noticing my roommate Pansy sitting on her own bed. 

"What's gotten into you?"

I lifted my head, just enough for my voice to be heard, but not enough to be seen. "I have detention with Umbridge. All for reading a book." A book I no longer had, and was certainly not in the position to ask my father for another one. He'd just tell me it's all my fault and that I shouldn't have been reading it in class.

"That's too bad." Without looking up, I could tell she didn't really care, and had already gone back to whatever she was doing before I came in. The rest of Slytherin was basically safe from receiving detention from Umbridge, and of course it'd be my luck that I'm the one Slytherin that the woman absolutely hates, for reasons I still couldn't understand.