Chapter 15- Dance? (This Past Year)

I was sitting in my father's potions class when something hit my head. I glanced down at it, at the paper ball. I looked back up and shoved it off the desk with my elbow. This was the one class I didn't want to, and wasn't allowed to, goof around in. That included passing notes. Father had split Draco and I up with assigned seating by my own request, but Draco didn't know that. I had to ask father to do it, Draco was always trying to whisper to me in class and distract me. That paper ball was surely from him.

A second one hit me, and I shoved it off my desk again. This time without bothering to look at it. A few moments later, next to me was the sound of a paper ball stopping mid flight and being opened. I looked to my side to see my father reading through the small note. "Detention Mr. Malfoy." He shredded the note up into tiny pieces. Returning my eyes to my work, I could hear Draco groaning.And as he groaned, I could feel my curiosity growing. What was in that note? Or, for that matter, in the other two notes.

I glanced over the edge of my desk, they were still there. I glanced up at my father who was keeping a close eye on the class. No doubt if I attempted to pick one up, he would spot it. Oh great, now I was distracted. I should have just read the first note! I should've-"

"Class dismissed." Father announced with his boring monotone voice.

I gathered my books up and began to walk out of the classroom. In the doorway, Goyle was waiting for me. "Looks like Draco is doing his detention now. Might as well head back to the common room and wait for him there." I glanced over my shoulder and he was right, there was Draco still sitting in his seat. I nodded and we headed back.

"I assume you heard about the yule ball." He asked as we walked.

"Yeah. Everyone has."

"I was wondering," he seemed very nervous, "would you, uh, like to go with me?" Wait, someone was asking me to the ball??

I was about to open my mouth to respond 'yes' when I got to thinking, was that what Draco was trying to ask me with the notes. In the past couple days, I've seen the boys begin to go crazy searching for a date for the ball. But, maybe Draco wasn't asking me to the ball with those notes. What then? Then I'd probably be saying no to the only boy asking me to the ball. I guess what I should be asking myself is is Draco worth taking that chance?

"Well?" He looked at me.

"Look, Goyle, you've been a great friend to me these past couple of years. But I think you deserve someone better than me to go to the ball with."

"Better than you? What do you mean?"

"Well, let me put it this way. You go with me, and you won't be able to dance all night. My father has a strict rule on dating, and I'm sure dancing falls under that." I saw the disapointed look on his face. "I'm sorry." Well, not really. I mean, I didn't lie. Father really does have a strict rule on dating. Even if I do go with Draco we won't be able to dance. I just couldn't believe I used my father as an excuse. Usually it's someone else doing that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked at Draco as he walked into the common room.

"That was a long detention." I commented.

"It was more of a talk rather than a detention." He smiled as he sat next to me on the couch.

"What do you mean? My father isn't the talking type."

"Don't worry about it. And since you didn't read any of my notes, I guess I'll just have to tell you what they said. Dance?"

My face lit up and I smiled wide. I couldn't believe it! Draco Malfoy was asking me, Serena Snape, to the Yule Ball! "Of course!" I wrapped my arms around him in complete joy.