Chapter 60 - And Found

Start from the beginning

I glanced at Albus; we hadn't planned for anyone to come save us, because we hadn't planned on being caught. Would we have been caught if the DA hadn't shown up? I didn't know. But would the DA have shown up if we'd never come? Absolutely not.

No one was coming to save us. Our choices were to join Stillens or suffer the consequences, also known as be unwillingly used by Stillens for the rest of our miserable lives. But being hopeless didn't bring me any closer to giving up. Futility had never stopped me from being stubborn before, and I wasn't about to let it stop me now.

I shot a quick look at Wren, kneeling on the floor and staring at the floor with a forlorn, hopeless expression in her eyes. I thought I saw tears on her face, though she didn't seem to be crying anymore. She either didn't notice or pretended not to as I tried to catch her eye.

"Do whatever you want to us," I snapped, turning my attention back to Stillens. "I'm not helping you."

"I think you'll do whatever I want you to," Stillens said, in such a confident tone that I faltered for a moment. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Albus make a face. I didn't give Stillens the satisfaction of looking confused or asking what he was talking about, obviously, but he didn't wait long for that, anyway. He turned to the door, still guarded by Alistair Hellion and Magnus Caldwell. "Call Jasper in, please."

Now I did glance at Albus, trying my hardest to seem casual, even though alarm bells were going off in my head even louder than before. Nico Jasper? Why was he here? I wasn't afraid of Nico Jasper, of course. I just didn't know what to expect, and that was a little scary.

Magnus had stepped out of the room, but came back now, Nico Jasper behind him. I didn't know if it was a good or bad sign that Nico looked as confused as I felt. He surveyed the room, raising an almost amused eyebrow at Albus and me. Then he noticed Wren, and I saw the slightest shift in his expression. He froze up for half a second, something close to alarm under the surface of his confusion.

It was gone in a blink. Nico turned to Stillens, as if no one else was in the room. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

Stillens studied him for a moment. I wondered if he'd seen the flash, too. If he had, he didn't acknowledge it. "Yes. Lestrange needs some persuasion."

Nico cast a sidelong look in my direction. "To do what, exactly?"

Stillens tilted his head, as if he were considering the question. It all seemed too polished; I had a feeling he already had something in mind. "Let's see. What would break her spirit...? The star of Gryffindor will not be moved by fear for herself, it seems. Perhaps fear for others would do the trick."

I rolled my eyes. No one had called me that for years. "I'm not doing what you want, Henry."

"You can hurt Wren and me however you'd like," Albus added. "She's not going to give in."

Of course, I didn't want Albus or Wren getting hurt. Arguably, Albus and I were equally responsible for being here, but we'd dragged Wren along with us. I glanced at her, quickly. She was watching us now with wide eyes. When I caught her attention, she didn't look away this time. Instead, she gave me a small smile, as if to encourage me that it was all right, don't give in, she'd be fine. Then Zaria shoved her head down so roughly that she nearly lost her balance and toppled forward. I tried not to wince.

It was all I could do to turn back to Stillens, to nod in agreement with Albus. "Do whatever you want. I'm not helping you."

"I think you misunderstand," Stillens said, waving Nico closer as he spoke. "I won't be doing anything more tonight. You will."

I blinked in surprise. "What?"

Nico stepped forward, his mouth pressed into a thin line, and waved his wand in my direction. I stared at him for a moment, not sure what was supposed to happen, then a wave of peace and tranquility washed over me so strongly that any alarm was swept away instantly.