Chapter 7 - Hogwarts Express

~Astra~

James sighed as the door slid closed. "Tell me if I'm going mad, okay?"

"You're going mad," Colette said immediately, not looking up from her book. James had given up on learning the spell she'd taught us, and that had pissed her off, I had a feeling. I didn't exactly blame her, since it was a useful spell to know, but getting upset with James for giving up on a spell where you had to give it your full concentration wasn't very fair. James had trouble concentrating most of the time.

James rolled his eyes. "I didn't even tell you why I think I'm going mad."

She looked up then, raising an eyebrow. "Oh, you have a reason? I thought you just meant in general."

"Shut up."

I shook my head at both of them. "Why do you think you're going mad, James?"

"Don't laugh, okay? I know this sounds insane. But... I feel like Wren isn't telling me everything? Because the night Stillens confronted her about what Zaria Hempsey said, we were all listening in on the mirror. You know, it connects to one Dad gave her, just in case anything goes wrong. And when I heard her leaving, I went downstairs to wait. But it took a little longer than I thought." He shook his head. "I don't know. I think something happened while I wasn't there, like Zaria did something to her. No one will let onto it, of course, but... it all just seems a little strange."

I tried so very hard to keep my face neutral. He was exactly right, but Wren had made me promise not to say anything. I had made her promise to tell James at some point, of course, but it seems "some point" hadn't arrived yet, over a month later. As much as I felt like he deserved to know everything, about Zaria threatening his girlfriend's life even if it meant literally dragging her to Hell, it wasn't my place to say. I had to act dumb. "Huh. That's weird."

"I know. I sound paranoid or something. But..." James shrugged. "I don't know. She told me Zaria said she would prove she was a traitor, but I didn't hear it. So I'm afraid more happened that she's not telling me about."

"Why on earth would she do that?" Colette asked. I was very grateful she was here, if only because there's no way I could've made it through a conversation like this on my own.

James tilted his head thoughtfully. "I don't know."

"Exactly." Colette picked her book back up. "No reason to worry, then."

He seemed to think about that for a second. "But I'm still worried."

Colette sighed. "Of course you are." She put her book down again, seemed a little frustrated now. "Listen, what to do you think she's hiding from you?"

"I don't know," he said, glancing at the two of us. "Has she told either of you anything.?"

"She's told us everything she told you," I said. It wasn't a lie, exactly, but it wasn't quite the truth, either.

"And if she didn't tell us something, that's her choice," Colette said. "She gets to decide when she's ready to share things, not us. But I don't think there's anything she's holding back right now, at least not about this."

He wasn't convinced; I could tell. He simply looked resigned to the fact that Wren wouldn't tell him until she was ready. At least he seemed satisfied that he wasn't the only one in the dark. I hoped he didn't figure out the truth.

"I just... I wish she knew she could trust me," he said, sighing. "I don't know how to show her that."

I patted his arm. "She knows she can trust you, James. I promise she does. There's a reason she's going out with you, after all, and not someone else."