Chapter 8 - Patrols

~Wren~

"Well, here's the moment of truth," Albus said as we walked down the staircase the next morning. "We're about to find out just how bad this year is going to be." He'd been pacing the common room for an hour, waiting on the rest of us to get ready. Why? Because Eris and Emmanuel had promised to post patrolling schedules this morning. And we both knew we wouldn't get paired with anyone good if Eris was creating schedules.

I'd been trying to reason myself out of being nervous all night. This was not the worst thing in my life. It wouldn't even make the top ten list. I liked most of the prefects, even, so it couldn't be too bad. That didn't change the fact that my stomach was turning as we walked down the stairs. I tried not to let it show. I could tell Astra was getting irritated with Albus's anxiousness.

"Merlin, Al, it's just the patrol schedules," James was saying, rolling his eyes. "You're acting like you're being diagnosed with dragon pox."

"Besides, who could you get that would be as horrible as Eris was that one time last year?" Astra asked, laughing. "Marcus would suck, but at least he's not acting like as big a prat as he was last year."

"Besides, it's only twice a month," James said. "You're not worried, are you, Wren?"

I shook my head, a very obvious lie. I could see the parchment tacked to the notice board, but we were too far away to make out what it said.

Albus flashed me a grim smile. "Well, let's get it over with, then." He pulled me through the small crowd of prefects gathered around the notice board.

Poppy was near the front of the crowd. She smiled when she noticed us, and scooted over to make room. "I'm with a Gryffindor. Cedric Rogers? He plays Quidditch, doesn't he?"

"Yeah," Albus said distractedly. "He's nice."

I scanned the list, searching for my name. Down, down, down—There was Albus, with Scorpius Malfoy. He noticed it the same time I did. "Oh, that's a lot better than I expected," he said, grinning. "I'm with Scorp."

"That's nice!" Poppy said.

I looked at the next pair of names, and felt my heart stop. Wren Predatel, it said, right next to Ciara Malfoy. "Oh no," I whispered.

Albus pursed his lips and looked back at the schedule, then winced. "Crap. This is not good at all."

Poppy gasped. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Wren," she said, patting my arm. "Malfoy really is horrible, isn't she?"

"Maybe Kimmel will change it," Albus said quickly. "It says schedules are final, but surely, given the circumstances..."

"What circumstances?" I asked. "The fact that Ciara doesn't like me wouldn't be enough."

"Not that," Albus said, shaking his head. "She's like, actually bullied you, Wren. She and Nico used to terrorize you."

"Used to. Two years ago. I don't think that'll be enough for Kimmel."

Poppy frowned. "Kimmel wouldn't make you do something that made you uncomfortable, surely."

I glanced at Albus, who also seemed unsure how to reply to that. I realized I was twisting the hem of my sweater and forced myself to stop. "Um... She... She might..."

Poppy frowned, seeming confused, but didn't push it. "Okay. Well, I hope it all turns out okay. Maybe speak to Emmanuel? He just wants everyone to be happy, you know, and he's nothing like Eris Prince."

Albus smiled. "Maybe we'll do that. Thanks." He grabbed my hand and started pulling me away. "We've got to get back to the others, so bye!"

"Have a nice day!" she said, smiling widely.