3

The startling alarm had shocked Rosalie out of her abysmal nightmare. Her cheeks were wet from tears and her body was bathed in a cold sweat. The sheets were twisted around her limbs, probably because she was thrashing in her uneasy sleep. Her heart pounded against her chest as she breathed heavily, trying to calm herself down. She trembled, taking in her surroundings. She was in her room, the rising sun peeping through her curtains.

The remnants of her nightmare spun around her head as she reached out to turn her alarm off, her hands shaking as she fumbled with the buttons on her phone. She let out a shaky sigh as she sat up, pulling the twisted sheets off of her damp body. She put her head in her hands, bringing herself back into reality. Today was the first day back at school, and she already hated waking up so early.

Lydia hadn't left until quite late the night before. She had spent a good two hours digging through Rosalie's clothes to find the perfect back-to-school outfit for her, while simultaneously complaining at the lack of contact the two friends had had over the summer.

"I wanted you to send me photos of all the cute boys from out of town," the Martin girl had complained as the two sat on her bed. Rosalie had only laughed lightly.  

She didn't tell her about how awful her summer had been and allowed her to continue complaining about how Jackson had forced her to watch lacrosse videos every week.

A knock at her bedroom door startled her for the second time that morning.

"Good morning," her dad greeted. "I have to go back to the station this morning, a body was found last night."

"Okay," she sighed out.

"Are you feeling okay? You look pale," he frowned, moving towards her and resting his hand on her forehead to check her temperature.

"I'm fine," she swatted his hand away, releasing a chuckle. He held his hands up in surrender.

"All right, all right. I have to go, but have a good first day, okay?"

"I'll try," she grumbled. He gave her a worried look, which she smiled at to try and convince him she was fine.

"If you need to leave for whatever reason, call me and I'll come and pick you up," he told her. "I'll see you later."

She said goodbye and got out of bed, stretching after she heard the front door slam closed, signalling he had left. She picked up her old teddy bear that had probably fallen out of the bed when she was thrashing around. Her grandfather had given it to her when she was little, so she still slept with it for comfort.

While Rosalie was quite capable of driving herself to school, Lydia insisted on picking her up so that they could continue catching up on the short drive to school. Her outfit was already picked out by said best friend and was laid out on the chair in the corner of Rosalie's room. Her cheerleading uniform was in her red duffle bag underneath the chair, where it had been for the past two months.

She snapped herself out of her procrastinating and showered, curled her hair, put makeup on and got dressed. By the time she had eaten her breakfast, which consisted of toast and coffee to try and wake herself up, Lydia's car was pulling up.

"Do you approve?" Rosalie asked as soon as she got into her best friend's car, gesturing to her outfit.

"I picked it out, Rose, of course I approve," Lydia shrugged. Rosalie rolled her eyes and threw her school bag onto the back seat along with her duffle bag.

The short ride to school was filled with Lydia telling her what she had done in her summer. Her summer had consisted of her and Jackson, along with a few parties at her lake house. Rosalie would be lying if she said she was paying attention.

"Are you even listening?" Lydia asked, bringing her out of her daydreaming. She had parked outside of the school.

"Yeah, sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night," Rosalie admitted, watching her friend apply more lipstick in the mirror she kept in her bag.

"Well, you better wake yourself up. It's the first day, I want to make an impression." Lydia smiled at her before getting out of the car.

Rosalie sighed, grabbing her two bags and getting out as well. Lydia flicked her hair behind her shoulder before locking the car. She linked her arm with Rosalie as the two of them made their way towards the entrance, their heels clicking as they walked.

"I wonder if there's any fresh meat this year." Lydia casually commented as they got closer.

"Lyds, you have a boyfriend, remember? Lacrosse team captain?" Rosalie laughed slightly at her friend.

"Oh, no, not for me, Rosie. You haven't had a boyfriend in two months. I can introduce you to a few team members if you want."

"I think I'll pass," Rosalie rolled her eyes. She would rather keep more to herself this year. But she was just thankful that she wasn't the new kid this year. It would be nice for people to drift their attention elsewhere this year.

"-Since the birth of Rosalie Morett! Hey, Rosalie, you look-" The voice was lost in the crowd almost as soon as she had heard it. A frown etched her face as she shook her head, deciding it probably wasn't worth trying to figure out who it was. That didn't stop the feeling of guilt from overcoming her as she walked away. Most people at this school already thought she could sometimes be a bitch, anyway.