Chapter 31

Maggie stood in the center of the room, next to the metal table that her body had being lying on a few hours prior. Her fingertips traced the cool material as confusion consumed her face. In the hour she had been alive she hadn't managed to stop her entire body from shaking and for some unknown reason she had taken comfort in biting the short nails on her hands.

"I don't understand what's happening to me" she mumbled, tears threatening to fall from her eyes as she stared at the doctor.

"Maggie" Deaton sighed "Do you remember what happened to you?"

"Matt, he - Matt shot me - I - Stiles - I died" she cried, her right hand covering her mouth as she gasped for breath. She stumbled to keep herself upright as she priced together parts of blurred memory.

"Maggie. Jackson bit you" Deaton stated, furrowing his eyebrows at the panicking girl in an attempt to help her understand her situation.

"But - Deaton I don't - "

"Maggie, listen carefully to what I'm saying to you" Deaton said, placing a hand on each of her shoulders "You were bitten"

"Are you saying I'm a - a werewolf?" She breathed, steadying herself.

"That's exactly what I'm saying"

He grabbed his phone from his pocket, frantically dialling a number as he paced the room. Each press of a button was like a bullet entering Maggie's brain, sending shockwaves just above her eyebrows. Deaton's heartbeat echoed in her ears. She could sense the blood running through his veins, each artery pumping it fluently around his body. She could feel how scared he was. The girl he once new was gone. A monster was all that he saw in front of him.

"Stiles" she said, her voice breaking as she begged Deaton to cast a glance in her direction "Stiles, is he okay?"

The doctor nodded at her, giving her a small smile as he waited for someone, anyone else, to arrive and rid him of the awkward conversation he was having. They spent a total of five minutes staring at the ground in front of them, every few seconds looking at each other before returning to their position. The tension in the air was nothing like either of them had encountered before. The air seemed dry and humid at the same time. Each second seemed to last a minute and each minute a day. Maggie was given a second chance at life and right now, she was wasting it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nobody spoke. Not a single word escaped any lips for the first 30 seconds of them standing there. Each heartbeat was in sync with the other. Each breath hiding in their lungs as they struggled to find a appropriate reaction. Every tear duct was full of water. Every hand damp with beads of sweat. Every hair on their body stood on end.

"Mag - Maggie?" Stiles cried, his body throwing itself towards her as he ran in her direction "Oh my god Maggie"

He wrapped his slightly muscled arms around her body, each palm reaching her sides as he pulled her body close to his and cried into her neck. One hand raised to the back of her head as he stroked her soft hair. The scent he never thought he would smell again ran through is nose, sending a shiver down his spine as he refused to let the small girl go. He could feel her chest raising up and down rapidly as she sobbed into his chest, her tears creating a damp patch on his grey shirt as she did so. Stiles slowly pulled away, placing a hand in either side of her face as rubbed his thumbs across her red cheeks.

"I can't believe your alive" he said as she placed her hands on his wrists, ensuring his hands stayed firmly pressed to the skin on her face before she reached up and connected her soft lips with his. They stayed for a blissful three seconds before they parted and stared at each other. Nothing longing to admit how they felt but unsure if the other remembered their last encounter. Still, Stiles was determined to take advantage of every precious moment he had been given with her. "I love you"

"I love you too, Stiles"

Seriously loving writing this book guys so please keep commenting and hearting it means the world!

-Al