★ t w e n t y - o n e : g r e g ★

"There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up."
—John Holmes
__________________________________

Imagine Greg accidentally breaking your favourite mug. How would you react?

It was a warm afternoon during the middle of spring. There were bits of wispy clouds floating in the bright, blue sky and rainbow lorikeets were whistling a melodious tune. Their chirping was music to your ears. You were laying down on the sofa with your legs stretched out reading your favourite magazine. Greg, on the other hand, was in the kitchen making green tea for the both of you.

You were halfway through reading an article from the magazine when out of the blue you heard a noise from the kitchen. It startled you and you felt your heart race as though you had come from a marathon. You stand up and dash into the kitchen to discover that your favourite mug had been shattered into a million pieces. The bits were scattered all across the floor. Greg stood there still like a post with his mouth covered with his hands. He was gazing down at the pieces.

"Greg, are you ok? Did you hurt yourself?!" You exclaimed. Your eyes scan on him to ensure he wasn't hurt. He looks at you and appeared a little puzzled.

Then, you extend your arm out to hold Greg's hand and pull him closer to you, ensuring he didn't step onto the pieces. You pull him into a hug and gently pat his back. Tears begin to well in Greg's eyes and they slowly begin to stream down his face like a waterfall.
"I-I'm so sorry, Y/N. I r-really am", he stuttered. He felt a lump form in his throat and began to tighten the embrace.
"Please, Greg. Don't feel bad. Accidents happen. It's not your fault".
"But how is it not my fault? I broke your mug. Your favourite one".
"But it was an accident. You didn't do it deliberately. Please, my love. Don't beat yourself up over it".

You press your lips against his temple and run your hand through his hair to calm him down. You pull away from the hug and fix your eyes into his. They appeared puffy and red. His face was drenched in tears. You gently wipe them away using your thumb. You peck his mouth and cup his face into your hands.
"Listen to me. You didn't do it on purpose and you know that too. It's ok".
"Why were you asking if I was fine, Y/N? I'm just a little curious".
"Because I just wanted to make sure you didn't hurt yourself when you had dropped the mug. I thought you may have accidentally cut yourself or stepped over the broken pieces. I know it sounds silly but better safe than sorry".
"Aw, darling. You care about me so much. That's why I love you so dearly".
Greg then plants a gentle kiss on your forehead and you smile at him.
"Here, let me clean up the mess", you said.
"I'll be helping you though".

You grinned at his generosity and proceeded cleaning up the mess. You both used a dustpan to pick up the broken pieces then vacuumed the floor to ensure no tiny bits remained. You wanted the floor to be spotless.

***

"I got you something", Greg says. A day had passed by after the incident. He hands you over a medium-sized box and a red ribbon was tied onto it. You flip it over to see that there was a mug sitting inside of the box. Your mouth widens in the shape of an o and look surprised. Silence fills up the room for some moments.
"Greg! You didn't have to!"
"But I have. Too late to turn back", he playfully mocks you and grins.
"You are way too sweet!"
"I couldn't let you go on without a mug less so I had to get you one".
You untie the ribbon, unbox the mug and grabbed onto its handle. It was a beige mug with multicoloured bohemian patterns on it. It looked very hippie. Your heart fluttered. You loved it.
"I know it's different from the mug I had but this is even better!"
"Wait, so you actually love it?"
"I'm being honest, Greg. I love this one even better! The design is much more groovy".

You felt the urge to embrace Greg. His sheer kindness always won your heart. So, you placed the mug onto the dinner table and pull him in for a long embrace. After some time, you give him an eskimo kiss and the two of you exchange smiles.
"Thank you, honey", you whisper into his ear. His heart melts at your words and the hairs on his arms stand up.
"Anything for you, my queen".

For afternoon tea, Greg had made green tea for you both and you were able to drink it from your new mug. Your favourite one. Even if you hadn't received a new mug from him, it would not have mattered to you as all you cared about was Greg's wellbeing.