"You're going for a run dressed like that?" Sam retorts disbelievingly as his eyes trace over my white lace top and black jeans.

"Sam!" Heidi snaps. "Shut up! Mils doesn't have many clothes."

"Exactly," I reply with a smile. "But, you may be right," I admit. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Of course!" she exclaims.

"Bye, Sam." I smirk at my best friend's dubious expression before looking away from them. He knows me better than anyone, and I know that he can see straight through my lies. I feel bad for lying to them, but just like Zac did with me, I want to keep them as far away as possible from this dangerous game that I'm playing.

I've spent every free minute of the last week at the so-called 'Safe House', much to Anna's disgust.

Jordan and Claudia have further explained the conditions at Killmoor, resulting in a few more hasty trips to the toilet, puking my guts up as images of Zac lying on the cold floor, beaten and bloodied, fill my mind.

Questioning them on their knowledge of the State and their ideas to take them down have been futile, none of them having an elaborate master plan.

After two days of begging, they finally let me down into the basement, showing me their hoards of weapons and ammunition. Having carelessly picked up a gun, they all freaked out, Bridget then spending the rest of the day educating me on how to use one. Safety first, right?

Kieran found me the following night in the opposite corner of the basement, attempting to throw my fists at the punch bag. A laugh had erupted from his mouth at the sight of my awful stance, his hands up in surrender as he approached, offering to help me.

Claudia and I go for a run every morning before work, her pushing me to go faster, my chest feeling as though it's going to explode every single time. My heart is unable to cope with the breathless consequences.  

She's been apologising every day for not being able to get her hands on a pregnancy test, reassuring me that the store should be stocked up on them soon. I stay silent every time she mentions it, praying that if she stops talking, it'll all go away. It's not true. It can't be.

Tonight, she advised me to dress slightly nicer, telling me nothing but that we will be going out somewhere.

Exiting Hudson Street, I make my way down the familiar alleyway towards the Safe House, my heels clacking loudly against the tarmacked floor. Luckily, the Enforcers seem to avoid this part of the city, probably certain that no-one dares venture this way.

"Em!" Claudia exclaims as soon as I turn in sight of the house, all of them standing in front of the tall building. "You're here!"

"Sorry I'm late," I reply.

"Don't be silly!" Claudia retorts, skipping down the steps.

"Looking good, Em." Bridget grins as she joins us.

"She's straight, Bridget," Anna snaps. "Can we go?"

"Bitch!" Bridget huffs, watching as Anna sets off in the opposite direction.

"Don't listen to her," I reply. "You look good too." I grin at the tattooed blonde, throwing my arm around her shoulder.

"How was work, Em?" Kieran asks, all of us following the bitchy brunette.

"Hard," I retort, pulling a face at him.

"Anna heard something at work today," Jordan says, his arm around Claudia. "You should know."

"Oh?"

"Both Zac and Kayla are still alive," he reveals and I quickly take in a sharp breath, nodding at the revelation, relief flooding through me. They're okay. He's okay.