7 | a promise to the dead

Start from the beginning

"No. A lot. We're struggling a lot." Indiana corrects.

"Guys.. You can save people's lives, but you cannot save them from life. Life is full of struggles." Melissa informs.

"But it doesn't have to be. Do you know what just one of these can do? This gets us a new roof. And this lays for Stiles' MRI. This pays for Eichen House. And this one means you don't have to work the double shift at the hospital and come home totally exhausted." Scott lists, picking up stacks of cash to explain what they can do.

"What about this one?" Melissa asks, showing him one covered in blood and just receiving a sigh in response.

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

Indiana currently roams the hallways of school, her textbooks gripped in her arms while her backpack sling over one of her shoulders. A small smile sits on her face, thankful that she no longer as to watch out for people attempting to possibly come out of nowhere and attempt to kill her.

The brunette makes her way into the gym where she's meeting Liam and Mason, the boys informing her that no one else is inside the room. Pushing the door open, Indi finds Liam sitting down on a bench press and Mason doing bicep curls with the worlds smallest weights.

"Looks like a lot of effort being put in there. It's really bringing out your biceps there." Indiana jokes, patting the boys shoulder before retracting her hand with a grimace at his sweat.

"This is my warm-up, dumbass." Mason replies. "You and Liam are bullies."

"What did you say to him?" Indiana asks, glancing over at the blond.

"If he decided a spot." Liam replies, grinning with pride at his comment.

"Hey, Indi, do you think he needs a spot?" Mason asks, motioning over to the weights. "I mean, that thing is like 300 pounds. He's gonna kill himself."

Before the girl can reply, Liam lays down and takes the weights off of the hooks. He then pulls it down to his chest cautiously before lifting it back up and placing it back onto the hook.

"Do I look like I need help?" Liam asks, a hint of annoyed in his voice.

Mason just scoffs at his friend, glancing at Indiana for a moment before placing the weights down and storming out of the gym. Indiana sighs, zoning out for a moment as she figures out how she's gonna get them to make up again.

Indi is pulled out of her trance at the sudden sound of grunts of pain, followed by the coughing for air. She whips her heard back around to see Liam now struggling beneath the weight he claimed he was fine lifting.

Before the brunette even gets a chance to place her textbooks down and rush forwards to help him, Scott runs into the room with Mason right behind him. The junior grand ahold of the weights and hooks it back into its place, Liam still coughing for air.

"Are you okay?" Indiana asks, concern laced in her voice.

"I- I'm fine." Liam replies, stuttering.

"If you don't want to be with us, that's okay. But don't push your friends away too." Scott whispers.

"Look, he may not know about what we are or what we do, but there's no reason we can't continue being his friend." Indiana adds. "Look, whether you like it or not, I'm in your grade so you're gonna be stuck with me for a couple years, so I'm gonna make it my mission that you don't push away the people you care about."

Liam gives the brunette a small smile in responses, one that she just instantly returns.

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦