Chapter Sixteen

Once she had managed to subdue her troubled soul, Rose shakily rose to her short height and tried to form a plan on how to find Korian's location. Only the highest officials would know. She could not ask Henri or Nijah, as they would never tell her and become suspicious. Rose certainly could not tell them that she was being blackmailed, as sadly Romi's life did not mean anywhere near as much to them as it did to her. Would she have to seduce (or at least try to) Nijah's most trusted confidant or the general? She felt disgusted at the thought, and hated herself for even contemplating it. However, dire times called for difficult actions and even worse consequences.

Rose felt rather shell-shocked as she wandered through the castle lost in her head, resembling a lonely ghost. As she mulled over what she may have to do to keep her Romi safe, she felt sick and wished she could talk to someone about it. It was a huge burden for a troubled soul. Unexpectedly Rose crashed into a warm body, which turned out to be Caliana, Nijah's youngest sister.

"Oh Rosilabeth! I am sorry, I did not see you there, are you well? You caused quite a worry this morning when nobody could find you!" Caliana exclaimed.

Rose swallowed her want to be alone and forced herself to be friendly.

"Ah hello Caliana, yes I am fine, sorry about that I was just taking a walk. Are you well?" Rose asked as she stood there stiffly.

"Are you sure? You are looking quite pale and stressed my sister." Caliana replied with a worried frown.

Although her personality haunted Rose, as it was very similar to the naive, selfish way she used to act, Caliana had always been very sweet and welcoming towards Rose.

"Yes, yes. I am fine." Rose dismissed with a tight-lipped smile.

"Is it boy trouble?" Rose's gaze snapped up at the allegation.

"Well... no, what - what are you..." She stammered.

"Come on Rose, nothing is ever kept a secret around here. I know you have been spending time with one of the stable hands - Rommich is it? I bet you were with him this morning." Caliana asked with a raise of her left brow and a sly smile. She loved anything outrageous.

"Well, yes, but our relationship is purely platonic!" Rose spluttered feeling trapped.

"Oh do not worry Rose I am not judging you! I am just glad you are getting over Korian at last." Caliana smiled with pain flashing through her dark sooty eyes.

Rose was surprised that she dared bring his name up. Ever since he betrayed his country by trying to start a war against Rose's homeland, Alluvia, and kidnapped her younger sister Aurora as well as other Alluvian maidens, his name was like a disease that blackened the mood and was avidly avoided. Caliana and her sisters had never once brought the subject of him up in front of Rose because Nijah warned them that Rose was in love with him, and it was too painful for her to think about. Of course, that was not strictly true, and Rose realised after she found out she was pregnant that she was never in love with Korian, but she was thankful to be spared of the reminder of the worst year of her life.

Caliana must have mistaken Rose's shocked expression for a saddened one, as her expression melted into a concerned one and she pulled Rose into a hug.

"It is ok Rosilabeth; things will only get better with time. Even though he did terrible things he is still my brother, and I cannot help but hold some affection for him in my heart. I get sad imagining him locked up all alone with only snakes for company. He must be terrified; he has always been scared of the creatures since he was a young boy." Caliana sighed before tensing, realising she had spilt a bit of information.