Chapter Eleven

As they galloped through the landscaped fields to the castle gates, Rose was unnerved to see there were no guards on duty. The wind whipped at their skin as they were going at such a speed, and the paling sunlight was quickly fading the land into darkness.

"Woah, woah!" Romi called out to the horse and pulled on her mane to get her to slow down.

"Where are the guards?" Rose panicked as they both looked around for any signs of life other then themselves.

Lila begrudgingly came to a stop just in front of the tall, imposing black gates and stamped her feet.

"Over there - look!" Romi exclaimed, and Rose noticed there were a few guards patrolling the walls to the left of them.

"We should ride over to them!" Rose exclaimed with her heartbeat thumping in her ears like a drum.

"Wait!" Romi suddenly called out and urged the horse to turn around.

Behind them galloping hooves could be heard clambering along, and Rose shrunk back into Romi with a cry of disappear. The villains intent on taking Rose were chasing after them on probably stolen horses.

"We need to go; quickly I will open the gate!" Romi determined as he slipped from the horse and rushed forward.

"Should we not go to the guards? They could help!" Rose insisted as Romi struggled with the locks.

"There are only three of them, what can they do? By going to them, we could be putting their lives in danger. Ah got it!" Romi exclaimed as he swung the gate open, as he possessed a key.

Rose looked behind them in panic as Romi clambered back onto the horse and urged her forward.

The villains were almost upon them with menacing stares and abusive speech.

"Go go go!" Rose exclaimed, thankful when they passed the gates and were storming out of the castle grounds.

Her heart thumped like it was going to explode and her mind was a scattered mess. Her limbs were tense and cramped, clinging onto the horse as it bolted along the cobbled street leading to the town.

"It will be easier to lose them if we go this way!" Romi exclaimed in her ear as he veered the horse to the left, entering into the dismally dark forest. Suddenly everything that made it beautiful in the light now twisted haunted shadows and spiked anxiety under the cover of darkness.

Rose trusted Romi though and continued to focus on clinging on. The other riders were following them like an imposing thunderstorm you cannot seem to outrun. Onwards and onwards they continued to gallop through the thickening trees and dusty mud, which flew up as a blinding cloud with each kick of Lila's hooves. They continued riding deeper into the rich earthy-smelling forest until darkness swarmed them and the shouts from behind faded.

A distant bird cackled and a cold wind swept past them as Lila slowed down, exhaustion clawing at her limbs. Although they only had the bright light of the moon to lead them and were no doubt miles from the Palace with dangerous men after them, Rose did not feel overwhelmingly afraid as she had Romi's large arms cradled around her. She knew in her heart that he would sacrifice his own life to keep her safe, although she would never allow him to do such a thing.

"Shh, slow down girl." Romi cooed as Lila was obviously struggling and needed a break.

The shouts behind them had now grown quiet, and Rose was not sure whether she preferred to hear them or the sudden creaks and howls, which rose out of the silence. Now they were all alone in a creepy forest, and Rose was beginning to wonder whether they would have to spend the night in the cold... alone together. She shivered at the thought.