F O U R | For Fun

Comincia dall'inizio

"Thank you, but I'm fine" I cleared my throat trying to ease the tension that was still evidently there between Elliot and I.

"Finally remember me again?" I joked trying to ease the conversation. He just snorted.

"Not quite yet" he whispered shoving his hands into his pockets. "Practice is keeping me busy". He shrugged.

"You sure you good though? You always seem to be talking to yourself" he teased sitting on the chair near my desk.

"I don't talk to myself. I talk to Daniel" I blushed pointing to my frame.

"I'm guessing that's your....." he raised his eyebrows at me.

"Brother" I finished off for him. He nodded in understanding.

"Is he still back in England?" he asked swinging around in his chair. He stopped when he noticed my sombre expression.

"Did I say something wrong?" he stood from his chair looking around slightly panicked.

"No no...you didn't" I laughed slightly.

"He passed just over a month ago" I told him. His mouth slightly dropped and sympathy crossed his face.

"It's fine" I smiled slightly. I hated the look on his face.

"Hey, I know it's hard to lose someone. Trust me" maybe he does. Maybe he does understand that losing someone is the hardest thing to accept. Remembering them is easy but it hurts the most when you miss them. That shit never gets easier. He looked hurt but he instantly smiled trying to hide it.

"I know you don't really know me but I'm told I'm a good listener. I know what it's like to lose someone you love and I know what it's like when you also overcome that very loss too" he stood at the door for a split second just staring at me before he walked away. Deep grief sometimes is almost like a specific location, a coordinate on a map of time. When you're standing in that forest of sorrow, you can't imagine that you could ever find your way to a better place. But if someone can assure you that they themselves have stood in that same place, and now have moved on, some hope for you too.

"Don't be late tomorrow morning, I'm your ride to school" Elliot yelled a while later making me laugh. I shook my head switching the lights off and getting into bed.

*****

The next morning I had awoken before my alarm had decided to blare. I sighed pushing the covers off myself before stepping into the shower. Not in a rush, I decided to give myself ten extra minutes under the warm water. Stepping out I dried myself off throwing on a pair of leggings with a grey hoodie leaving my hair down to dry. I ran some mascara over my lashes and a splash of lip-gloss on my lips before running downstairs meeting Elliot who was already stood in the kitchen with Elle.

"Sit still" Elliot complained grabbing Elle's shoulders holding her place.

Elle took a bite of her toast before replying, "Sorry". Elliot finished braiding her hair before sitting down across her to finish his own breakfast.

"Hurry up we're getting late" Elliot threw his last piece of toast into his mouth, moving to put both his and Elle's plates into the sink before he even noticed me.

"I made some toast for you too but think it's cold now" he looked down at the toast on the table. I picked it up anyway taking a bite thanking him. Elliot lifted Elle off her chair and onto the floor passing her school-bag to her ushering her out the door and towards the car.

"Come on" Elliot said over his shoulders. I followed him out of the house and helped Elle into the back seat of the car as Elliot opened the passenger door for me. I thanked him taking a seat. The ride to Elle's school was spent with Elle keeping us up with the school drama.