Out.

I squinted my eyes, feeling a slight burning sensation, un-allowing me to fall back asleep peacefully as I was before.

I groaned softly as I sat up, leaving the warmth of Noah's arms.

I tried to open my eyes, but the brightest light I had ever seen stopped me from doing so.
A flashlight, shining in my face. If I opened my eyes any more I probably could've gone blind.

"Do you have a reason for being out past curfew?" A female voice said, followed by a beeping sound from her walkie-talkie.

I looked away, still groggily rubbing my eyes.

"Hey Ash!" Noah's voice startled me, raspy and deep. His usual waking-up voice.

"Oh Noah, what a nice surprise." Her voice chirped.

"Can you turn the flashlight off?" I said, making it clear in my voice I was annoyed. I raised my hand in front of my face, blocking some of the light.

"Who are you?" Her tone of voice changed, from happy and flirtatious to snobby and almost condescending.

"Sorry, this is Melanie. My girlfriend." He introduced me, extending his arm to help me up.

I got butterflies when he said that. His girlfriend. We didn't really label each other, it was about time I guess.

I smiled nonetheless, earning the title of "girlfriend" was all I wanted. I felt happy, even though some weirdo with a flashlight was standing right in front of us.

"Hi." I smiled at her, even though it was nothing short of a fake one. She shined the light away, now only relying on the street lamp for illumination.

"Hello." She thinly smiled and shook my hand.

I immediately recognized her as the officer from when j got arrested. Officer Andersen, I believe.

"Didn't you get arrested? I remember you." She pursed her lips, shifting her weight to one of her legs.

"Um yeah, I didn't do anything wrong though." I awkwardly laughed, making Noah rub the nape of his neck.

"Right. Where were you at the time of arrest?" She smiled back with thin lips, obviously not amused.

Before I could answer, though, Noah broke us up.

"What do you want, Ashley?" Noah asked, looking at her with wide eyes.

"Like I said, you two are out past the state curfew. I'm gonna need to take you to the station." She pried her blue eyes off of mine and looked up at Noah, parting her lips slightly.

I didn't like her. She was... weird. Not in the way that a person usually is, but in a personal way. She had some sort of grudge against me, but she seemed to have a soft spot for Noah.

I noticed this last time too. How her gaze on Noah lasted longer than it did on me, and she always licked her lips when they were talking.

"Can I talk to you? Over there." Noah cocked his head to another direction, away from me.

She looked at me again, flipping her loose black hair over her shoulder.
"Alright."

Noah nodded his head at me, signifying everything would be alright, but I shook my head, biting my lip nervously.

They walked away, I heard their faint voices a few feet away. I wanted to eavesdrop so badly, but Noah picked his head up occasionally to give me a glare.

I exhaled sharply, bending down to pick everything up in the plastic shopping bags. I focused on cleaning instead of the conversation.

I glanced up from picking up, seeing Ashley's posture had changed, she was laughing and talking to him like they were friends. Maybe they were, but she was too friendly. That was when I decided I needed to do something.