30

Chapter 30

Seven

"I like you."

It's a bit strange, but right after I said those words, I feel like the world abruptly stopped from spinning and everything went into a slow motion. The surrounding became vast and she's the only one I saw with both of my naked eyes.

"I like you," I said again. "I like you as my friend, Angelus."

She stared at me blankly, like her mind is still processing the informations that I gave her. I don't know where I took the courage to say these words, but I badly want to say it to her.

She blinked after some several seconds and took a very deep breathe.

"But friends don't kiss, Syete," she replied.

I licked my lower lip and thought some words to counter her. I don't have any idea about the nature of relationships between a man and a woman, so I still have an identity crisis over this matter.

"What does friends usually do?" I asked after a moment of silence.

She shrugged her shoulders and sighed. She looked at the fountain again and stared at the different lights. The water are still dancing like it's happy to see us.

"Friends talk, bond together, comfort each other, share different opinions, helping one another, and also, companion. Walang halik na involved sa pagkakaibigan. Depende nalang 'yon kapag hindi opposite ang gender," she said without taking her eyes at the fountain.

"Does gender really validates such type of stupidity? I mean, gender is just for self-identity. What does it connect to friends kissing each other?"

"We have norms and ethics kasi. You're not a mortal that's why you can't relate. Being close with a man nowadays brings malicious concepts among the people that surrounds you."

"That's absurd," I told her.

She nodded her head to agree with me and caught my eyes.

"If you want some friendship, sure. Pwede mo ako maging kaibigan, just like Crow. But I can't promise to be a good one. You know how much I like teasing you."

I slowly shook my head and let out a smile.

Alright, I should normalize teasing right now. I don't mind being teased, as long as it's Angelus. She's more than enough for me.

"I'm still sorry about the kiss, though. I shouldn't have done that hideous thing. I feel like violating our own rule as a demon."

"You shouldn't feel sorry. Let's just forget about it, kung 'yan ang ikakapanatag ng loob mo," she replied and smiled at me. "Tara na, masyado ng malamig ang gabi."

She started walking so I followed her immediately. The entire place is now filled with random people and some ghosts. I can't sense any danger kaya napanatag ang loob ko.

Pagdating namin sa bahay ay agad na binuksan ni Crow ang pinto at pinapasok kami. Angelus just went up the stairs without looking back at me. She seemed weary and sad. But I can't really distinguished her real emotions.

Crow gave me a what-the-hell-happened kind of look and it made me conscious.

"She's just probably tired, I already apologized to her," I said to Crow after I removed my shoes. "How's the search by the way?" I asked, referring to Kitty's whereabouts.

Crow leaned on the sofa and puff a sighing breath.

"I found her relatives, but it looks like they're not aware about Kitty and her father. But I still have a hunch that Kitty is the convicted mortal. I've seen some drug paraphernalia on her room. But then we still need to locate her to assure this."