10 | the little nugget returns

DEDICATED TO M

reading your comments after updating a chapter is a hobby of mine at this point !!!! I appreciate you and your commitment to reading my amteaur writing skills (if we can even call them skills at all). I hope you are healthy, happy, and safe. I wish you all the best in your writing journey ~ <3

AFTER WHAT SEEMED like a decade of awkward silence later, East muttered a rather abrupt "goodbye" and fled the scene, taking his belongings with him but leaving the food with me in case I got hungry

AFTER WHAT SEEMED like a decade of awkward silence later, East muttered a rather abrupt "goodbye" and fled the scene, taking his belongings with him but leaving the food with me in case I got hungry. He claimed he had other plans to tend to but I knew that he was lying. He had told me earlier on in the day that he cleared his schedule to spend a day with me. I didn't know what hurt to hear more: to know that he lied or that he had to lie because he didn't want to be in my presence after what had unfolded.

After he left, I continued to drown my thoughts in guilt and shame for what I had said. Because I knew I had lied too.

I must've pondered on my regrets for a long time because sooner or later, the blazing sun had begun to set behind mountain from afar. It was a bright orange that radiated onto the remaining few left at the park, including myself, that it felt like we were actors in a cheesy movie. I leaned back and lay on the grass and soaked in the rays until it became too intense, and later shuffled my way under the trees where the park benches stood. I took a seat, set down the picnic basket on the ground, and took a deep breath.

Closing my eyes, I took in my surroundings: the sounds of birds fluttering their wings to fly up towards their nests, families packing up to head back home, and the lingering trial of laugher from couples walking away.

It almost brought me to tears.

But then I felt a light tug on my arm and the serenity of everything shattered as soon as I looked down.

"Hello, lady," the little nugget/boy proudly greeted, waving his tiny, stubby hands.

"What are you doing here?" I snapped, glaring fiercly.

Unbothered, the ice-cream-spilling culprit continued, "Can you help me find my mommy?"

I blinked once. Twice. Three times.

"Oh, uh, sure," I replied warily, grabbing my basket and standing up from my position on the bench. "When did you last see her?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. Maybe in the parking lot."

I rolled my eyes thinking he probably just ran away from the parking lot where she was and thus wasn't actually lost. We walked in silence for the majority of time spent on the path leading to the lot, but eventually, the boy started to talk, much to my surprise, which caused me to gear my chin down.