Chapter 20

Sorry it took me so long to upload this chapter. I was kind of busy with my classes these past semesters. And with the whole pandemic thing, I've been kind of depressed lately so I've had no motivation to do a whole lot of anything.

Plus, halfway through what I originally had planned for this chapter, I realized I couldn't use any of it so I scrapped the entire thing and we're just skipping to the next thing.

Connor and I waited for the other androids to leave before talking to Markus. He had his back to us as we entered. He must have sensed us because he turned around to face us. It felt good to see him again. Without thinking, I walked over and hugged him. He hugged back before pulling away to look me in the eye, "What are you doing here, (y/n)? You shouldn't be here."

"We came to warn you. They're going to attack Jericho. We have to get everyone out of here."

"Shit."

He dashed out of the room. Connor and I followed behind. We met up with a female android that told us that we were surrounded and trapped. Markus held two fingers to his temple. I couldn't hear anything since I'm not an android but I had a feeling he was sending a telepathic message to everyone on the ship.

"We have to blow up Jericho," Markus told her, "If the ship goes down, they'll evacuate and our people can escape!"

"You'll never make it! The explosives are all the way in the hold, there are soldier everywhere!"

"She's right," Connor added, "They know who you are. They'll do anything to get you."

"Go and help the others," Markus ordered, "I'll join you later."

"Markus... That's not-" I began.

He cut me off, "I won't be long."

He left without giving us time to protest more. Connor grabbed my hand and we dashed through the halls of the ship with Markus' friend, jumping over obstacles and narrowly avoiding the soldiers.

After an extremely tense period of time that seemed to take ages too long, Markus' friend stopped dead in her tracks to turn around, "Markus!"

"The bomb's gonna to explode any second. We gotta get out of here," He told us.

We continued running until gunshots rang out behind us and Markus' friends dropped. We stopped and Markus rushed back to help her. He picked up a scrap of metal off the ground to use as a makeshift shield and tossed it to her. He ran up and used his momentum to spring off the wall and knock down one of the soldiers.

He punched the other one, sending them backwards slightly while his friend grappled with the other using the metal as a weapon. The soldier Markus was fighting retaliated by pulling out a handgun, swinging it at Markus. He deflected and swiftly disarmed them while knocking them to the ground. They got back to their feet and tried to rush at Markus but he kicked them into the wall behind them and shot them.

While they made their way back to us, four more soldiers turned down the hall. Connor and I finally let go of each other's hand and drew our weapons. We shot at the advancing soldiers to provide cover so Markus and his friend could get to a safer spot. As they got closer Connor picker up the piece of metal and used it to shield us.

I shot the closest soldier in the shoulder and they slumped over into Connor. Connor let them drop to the ground and shot the second one in the arm. Not completely incapacitated, they tried to lunge for me but I dodged and used their own momentum to slam them into the wall, knocking them out. A bullet whizzed past my ear, very narrowly missing me as Connor rushed at the third, pulling their rifle from their hands and pushing them to the ground. The fourth drew a handgun but Connor caught it and deflected, redirecting the gunshot to the floor. He used the rifle to push them back and grabbed the gun. He shot them point blank in the chest.

He dropped the gun immediately and rushed over to me, gently cupping my face in his hands. A look of intense panic etched in his face that I'd never seen before, even when he'd been connected to the blonde android when he died, "Did they hurt you?"

"No, no, I'm okay."

We didn't have time to dwell on things before more soldiers turned down the hall and rushed towards us. Connor grabbed hold of my hand as we dashed towards the exit. We jumped off the side of the ship, hand-in-hand, moments before the bomb went off.

Ah, shit, this chapter's way shorter than I thought it was. Oops. The next chapter should be longer though.