Chapter 18

(y/n) POV

Love? I knew that I liked Connor but was I really sure that I'd fallen for him? We've only known each other for a few days. It just seems too sudden, too irrational. Then again, love never is rational. Despite the logicality of it, I knew that it was the truth.

"You're off the case. The FBI is taking over."

Captain Fowler's words had sent a shock through my body before numb realization set in. No case meant no Connor. He would be sent back to CyberLife. He would end up getting deactivated, "What? But we're onto something! We... we just need more time. I'm sure we can-"

"(y/n), you don't get it. This isn't just another investigation, it's a fucking civil war! It's out of our hands now... We're talking about national security here."

"Fuck that!" Dad spat, "You can't just pull the plug now. Not when we're so close!"

"You're always saying you can't stand androids! Jesus, Hank, make up your mind! I thought you'd be happy about this!"

"We're about to crack the case! I know we can solve it!" I pleaded.

"For God's sake Jeffrey, can't you back us up this one time?" Dad joined in.

Fowler sighed, "There's nothing I can do. You two are back on homicide and the android returns to CyberLife. I'm sorry, Hank, (y/n), but it's over."

I cast a worried look over at Connor. He looked distraught but didn't say anything. I clenched my fists and walked out of Fowler's office followed by Dad and Connor. I plopped down in my chair feeling defeated. Connor sat on my desk, "We could've solved this case. We just needed more time."

Dad gave a humorless snort of laughter, "You and your god damn case. Is that really all you care about? Not me? Not (y/n)?"

Connor looked guilty at the mention of my name. I could tell he didn't want to lie to Dad but he was scared and looking for a way to prolong this case and by extension his life. A risky plan sparked to life in my head. It wasn't the best idea and could backfire but if I didn't do something Connor would die.

"Dad, Connor's a deviant," I told him surprising both men.

Connor's already yellow LED flashed red for a split second, "You said we shouldn't tell him."

"Do you trust me?"

He answered without a shred of hesitation, "Without question."

"How long?" Dad asked.

"Eden Club."

I could tell Dad was beginning to connect the dots. He slowly nodded in understanding.

"If he gets sent back to CyberLife, he'll be deactivated. He'll be effectively sent to his death."

"I... I don't want to be deactivated, Lieutenant..." Connor admitted, "I'm scared..."

We were interrupted by Perkins entering the station. "Well, well, here comes Perkins, that motherfucker... Sure doesn't waste any time at the FBI..." Dad commented.

"We can't give up. I can find Jericho. I know the answer is in the evidence we collected. If Perkins takes it, it's all over."

"If you can distract Perkins long enough, we can find Jericho," I told Dad, "We can help the deviants."

"We?" he questioned.

"I'm going too."

Both of the objected at the same time, "No!" "Absolutely not!"

I glared defiantly at both of them, "In case you've forgotten, I am an adult. I don't need permission. Do you think I'm really going to stand by and watch from the sidelines? If you won't take me with you, I'll find a different way there."