Chapter 17

After what happened at the tower Dad had decided that the three of us were done investigating for the day in order to let Connor emotionally recover from the traumatic experience. So Dad went home and I took Connor back to my place. After returning home, I helped Connor repair the bullet hole in his shoulder. He had refused to go back to CyberLife to have it done because he was worried they might tamper with his memories and find out he had deviated. Like I had thought, the damage was easily fixable. With Connor giving me step-by-step instructions on how to repair him, it wasn't difficult and didn't take very long.

The next day the three of us found ourselves outside of a mansion. Dad had found Elijah Kamski and we came to get more information on deviants. Connor and I sat in the car while Dad was on the phone. When he hung up I got out of the car and walked over. Whatever he had been discussing seemed pretty serious.

"Is everything alright, Lieutenant?"

"Chris was on patrol last night. He was attacked by a bunch of deviants... He said he was saved by Markus himself..."

"Is Chris okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, he's in shock but, he's alive... What the hell..."

"So how long has he been calling you by name?" Dad asked me as we approached the door. Connor was still several steps behind us and presumably out of earshot.

"He saved my life, he can call me whatever he wants."

"That about the same time you started calling him 'Connie?'" Dad smirked knowingly making me blush in embarrassment. Suddenly his expression turned more serious, "Listen, sweetheart, I know you like him but you really can't get attached. One way or another he's gonna have to go back to CyberLife when this whole thing is over..."

Not if I have anything to say about it, "I... I know..."

"Just be careful, (y/n). I don't want to see you get hurt," I knew he had my best interest at heart but his words still left a hollow feeling in my stomach.

Evidently Connor had caught up to us at some point because he was next to me, making me wonder how much he had overheard. "Kamski left CyberLife ten years ago... Why did you want to meet him?"

"This guy created the first android to pass the Turing test. And he's the founder of CyberLife. Anybody can tell us about deviants, it's him..." Dad replied and reached out to press the doorbell.

After a few seconds of nothing Dad went to press it again but the door opened to reveal a pretty blonde android.

"Hi. Uh. I'm, er, Lieutenant Hank Anderson and that's my partner (y/n), Detroit Police Department. We're here to see Mr. Elijah Kamski."

"Please come in," she said, "I'll let Elijah know you're here. But please, make yourselves comfortable."

"Nice girl," Dad commented.

"You're right," Connor agreed, "She's really pretty."

Despite agreeing with the statement, I couldn't help but feel jealousy twist in my stomach at his word choice. I mentally chided myself, my jealousy was ridiculous. He had the right to express his own emotions and opinions.

Connor cast a concerned look at me, as if he had somehow been able sense my jealousy. Feeling somewhat ashamed of myself, I turned my focus to a portrait on the wall. Elijah Kamski, founder of CyberLife. Of course I had seen his face before, anyone alive in the 21st century knew who he was, but I never thought I would be meeting him in person.

"Nice place, guess androids haven't been a bad thing for everybody," Dad said absentmindedly.

I turned back from the portrait to see Connor staring at a picture of Kamski standing next to an older woman. Connor looked confused and I heard him say, "Amanda..."