Chapter 16

Think Bout You

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗
𝙄'𝙫𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙜 '𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪
𝘿𝙤 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙠 𝙖𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙢𝙚 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙡𝙡?
╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝

Gabriella's POV

Exiting the dance auditions, my heart swirled with a whirlwind of emotions. The thrill of the performance clashed with the disappointment of Rico's abrupt departure, leaving an unexpected void. I strained to catch a glimpse of him, hoping for a reassuring nod or a smile, but he had vanished. Frustration gnawed at me as I dialed Rico's number, each unanswered ring amplifying my worry.

"Is he okay?" I pondered, my mind filled with worry.

Arriving home, I found my father in the living room, engrossed in the television. Offering a warm hello, I leaned in to place a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"How did the auditions go, Gabby?" my dad inquired.

"I had so much fun, Dad! The auditions were amazing. I felt this incredible rush as I danced; I mean everyone was so surprised at how I moved. It was like I was back in Houston, dancing freely with my old team. The room had such a great vibe, and I just rode that energy. I really hope I get on the team," I said excitedly.

My dad looked at me with a beaming smile before saying, "I haven't seen you smile like that in a year. Have you noticed?"

"I don't know, Dad. I thought that dancing would make me feel worse because of the memories of her, but, I don't know, maybe not dancing anymore just made me even sad. I love dancing so much, Dad," I explained to my dad, the sincerity of my feelings reflecting in my eyes.

"I'm so happy to hear that, honey. You being happy makes me happy," my dad said with a big smile on his face.

I glanced at the clock and noticed it was almost time for Rico and me to watch "Rags." I hoped that during our movie time, he would shed light on why he left the auditions so early. After a quick shower, I sent him a text, but there was no response. An hour passed, and there was still no reply. It was getting late, so I decided not to wait any longer and went to sleep. Maybe he had something important to attend to.

The next morning, my attempts to reach Rico were still met with silence. Concern burgeoned over the weekend, and by Monday, his absence echoed through the familiar hallways of our school. As I moved through our usual classes, the vacant seat beside me served as a constant reminder. During lunch, I spotted Lea and Kaleb signing out, their hurried steps mirroring the urgency in my voice as I approached them with a mix of hope and worry.

"Hey y'all," I greeted.

"Hey, beautiful," Lea responded, while Kaleb waved with a cute smile.

"Sorry if this sounds weird, but have you seen Rico? I haven't heard from him since Friday," I inquired, a tinge of concern evident in my voice.

"Oh! Yes, Rico," Kaleb said, acting surprised but unsure. His brows furrowed, and he seemed to pause for a second. A subtle rub of his neck and a discreet pull of Lea in front of him caught my attention. Lea shot him a confused look before turning to me with a nervous smile, subtly rubbing her hand on her pants.

"Yeah, um, last time I talked to Rico, he said he had something really important to get to, but don't worry, he will be back soon," Lea said with a reassuring smile. She seemed to fidget, rubbing her thumb against the fabric of her pants.