Chapter 1

Yo (excuse me miss)

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━I don't know your name but excuse me miss━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

I don't know your name but excuse me miss
━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

Rico's POV

"They're fighting again. Dad is yelling at Mom; tears glisten in her eyes.

I hide behind the walls near the stairs, praying they won't spot me. I catch a glimpse of my dad's bloodshot eyes, a sure sign that he's been drinking.

"David, stop yelling. You're going to wake up the kids," my mom whispers.

"Oh, who gives a damn," slurs my dad.

"David, I can't handle this anymore. It's either you stop or I'm taking the kids and leaving," my mom pleads.

"You won't do a damn thing," my dad yells.

"Watch me," my mom retorts.

My mom turns away from my dad, and for a moment, her eyes meet mine, but she's soon distracted by my dad's aggressive grip on her arm.

"You're not taking my kids," he threatens.

"David, please stop. You're hurting me," my mother cries.

I can't bear to see my mother in pain, so I summon the courage to run downstairs and push my father away from her as hard as I can.

"Back off!" I yell.

"Oh, look at you, thinking you're tough, huh? I'm going to show you who's tough!" he shouts.

My father delivers a powerful punch to my head, causing me to fall to the ground, groaning in agony. Then, he kicks me while I'm down, and all I can hear is my mother screaming, "Stop, you're going to kill him!" My mom intervenes and ends up taking the blows. I want to protect her, but every time I try to get up, a searing pain shoots through my ribs. I don't know what's happening, but there's a deafening ringing in my ears.

I wake up with a start, still hearing the loud ringing from my alarm clock. It was all just a nightmare. I check my phone, and it reads 6:30 A.M. I need to wake up my sister for school. I get out of bed, go to the bathroom, wash my face, and brush my teeth. I knock on my sister's door across from my room, hoping she'll wake up. She opens the door with a disgruntled look on her face; she's already dressed, which is a relief.

"Why are you so upset?" I ask her.

"Because you banged on my door like the damn police," she says.

"My apologies, m'lady," I jest in a comical British accent.

"Whatever," she mutters as she walks past me to the bathroom.

I return to my room and get dressed. Downstairs, I find a plate of buttered toast waiting for me.

"Thanks, sis," I say, planting a kiss on her forehead.

"No problem."

I take the plate of toast, grab my car keys and book bag, and head to the door.

"Fiona, we've got 20 minutes. Hurry up!" I call.

"I'm coming!" she shouts in response.

Fiona, now wearing her backpack, walks over to me. I give her a quick once-over, satisfied that she's ready.

"Did you brush your teeth?" I ask.

"Yes," she replies.

"Do you have your house keys?"

"They're in my backpack."

"Alright, let's go," I say.

I open the door for her, and we walk to my car. I take the driver's seat, check the mirrors, and ensure Fiona's seatbelt is on. Satisfied that everything is in order, I drive her to school.

"Are you excited for your first day of school?" I inquire.

"Absolutely! I can't wait to see Mel and Chloe. I haven't seen them all summer. No offense, Rico, but hanging out with you and your friends all summer can be a bit boring."

"None taken," I laugh.

I can't help but smile at her infectious enthusiasm.

"Now that we're here, I hope you have a great day."

"Thanks, Rico. You have a great day too. Bye!"

"bye," I reply.

I watch her leave the car and join her friends before heading into the school. She looks so happy.

I find a parking spot at the school and notice a black Range Rover pulling in next to me. When the driver steps out, I'm left awestruck. She is the most beautiful girl I've ever seen with stunning brown eyes, curly hair, and radiant skin. Her style is impeccable; she wears an X-Men black shirt, cargo pants, and black and white Air Jordan 1's.

I hurry out of my car and approach her, not willing to let her pass by.

"Excuse me," I say.

She doesn't respond, just continues walking, so I pick up the pace, finally catching up and trying again.

"Excuse me," I repeat.

She stops and turns to face me. "Are you talking to me?" she asks.

Her voice is soft, like the smoothest silk, instantly making me feel at ease.

"Yeah I am. I just wanted to say hello," I explain.

"Hello," she replies and begins walking again.

"I'm Rico, and you are?" I ask, keeping pace.

"Gabriella," she answers.

"Nice to meet you. I've never seen you at this school. Are you new?" I ask

"Mhm."

"Where are you from?" I press.

"Texas."

"Oh, that's cool. Which part?"

"Houston."

Gabriella and I have now entered the school. As I enter, my friends greet me with friendly gestures, and I return the favor. I glance to my right, but she's disappeared.

Wow, she's fast.

The bell rings, and I head to homeroom with Gabriella on my mind. Our chat was quick, and she seemed a bit reserved, but that's okay. I'm looking forward to bumping into her more often and getting to know her better.