Chapter 12 Avoid the trap! Return to the foot of the mountain

Dim sunlight shines in the afternoon. Nezuko and Shirazumi slept like they hadn't felt the soft futon for a long time.

After only a few minutes Tanjiro and the others arrived at Sakonji's house, now Tanjiro was told to follow Sakonji again up the mountain.

Tanjiro's face, full of sweat and fatigue, is now growing pale. Even though he had just run as hard as he could, now he still had to climb higher mountains. If Shirazumi saw his face, she would definitely laugh. Her Brother's expression is sometimes weird.

.

.

.

Tanjiro followed Sakonji up the mountain. Unlike before, now they are walking towards the mountain.

The higher they climb, the sky gets darker. Even the white fog reduces the visibility around.

When Sakonji felt that they were in the right place, he stopped walking and looked at Tanjiro who was almost out of breath.

Tanjiro's face now looked pale, his eyes were red and his breath was breathing heavily. Even the muscles felt like being pulled. In short, Tanjiro is now heavily tired. In contrast to Sakonji who looked almost did not feel tired at all.

"From here you must head to the foot of the mountain and return to my house. You have to reach there before dawn." Sakonji said briefly to Tanjiro before a thick fog swallowed him.

Sakonji left Tanjiro alone on a foggy mountain. He returned to his house to wait for Tanjiro. His very gentle movements made Tanjiro completely oblivious when Sakonji left.

Tanjiro felt that the test given by Sakonji was too easy. He thought that Sakonji thought he would get lost in this foggy mountain. With his keen smell, he can follow Sakonji's scent so there is no need to fear getting lost, at least that's what he thought.

In fact, the test was not that easy.

Just walking a few steps, Tanjiro felt that his feet touched something. It turns out it was a rope. The rope activates a trap in the form of stones which directly hit his body.

At that time he realized. To end this test is not as easy as he imagined. The road back to the foot of the mountain was filled with traps made by Sakonji.

Most are an old trap. Some are still strong, some are already fragile. Sakonji did not set the traps specifically for Tanjiro. Because Sakonji was a trainer, the traps were also used by him to test his pupils and other prospective pupils.

.

.

.

Tanjiro ran while trying to avoid the traps. But not all the traps he could avoid. The traps that hit him made his body full of wounds. The thin air of the mountain affects Tanjiro's movements. He does live on a mountain, but the air on Mount Sagiri is thinner compared to the mountain where he lives.

Tanjiro tried to regulate his breathing, trying not to lose consciousness due to lack of oxygen. His head was dizzy and he felt he could collapse at any time. 

With strong willpower, he continues to go forward. By relying on his smell, Tanjiro looked for the scent of the traps. The man-made trap has a different odor, and Tanjiro tries to avoid it. Just by realizing that, his body moved more agile than before.

When one trap can be avoided, the next trap can't be avoided. That continued until his body was covered in wounds and dirt. Blood flowed from several wounds of his body.