Chapter 23: The Parents

Start from the beginning

Mrs. Wang always felt a tinge of guilt since they started the plan, but the feeling was easily swept under the rug once she was presented with materials that brought her dream of seeing Yibo's wedding one step closer to reality. However, to be put under the spotlight all of sudden made her instinctive defense turned on. "I was trying to help. You two have been so busy with work that we figured we'll just do all of the hard work and you can just decide. How can you be so ungrateful?!"

"Mother!" Yibo could no longer control himself. "There. Is nothing. Between Cheng Xiao and I." Yibo clenched his fists as he spoke. "I only see her as a sister and nothing else."

'B-but," Mrs. Wang couldn't understand. How can Yibo say this, they had always been together and interacted so well. Cheng Xiao always told her how much she loved Yibo. Sure, her son has never told her he had feelings for Cheng Xiao, but what other individuals outside of the family had Yibo gotten along with and even brought them home for dinners? The girl practically saw this house as her second home! So then how can Yibo say that there was nothing between them? Unless ... unless, Mrs. Wang remembered what Mrs. Yu said last night, "Is it because of that man?"

Yibo softened his looks.

"Xiao Zhan," Mrs. Wang pushed further, noticing how Yibo seemed to have calmed down after hearing the name. So he was trying to break YiXiao apart.

"Yibo, who is this man," his Father asked.

"He has nothing to do with Cheng Xiao and me."

"Then why does his sudden appearance ignite these scandals?"

"Father, Dr. Xiao is not part of the entertainment world," Hai Kuan tried to defend Xiao Zhan since he felt that it was his fault for letting Xiao Zhan perform that night. "The media is just trying to gain attention with any new materials they gain."

"So you've known about him?"

Hai Kuan nodded.

"Father. Mother," Yibo called with a pleading tone. "I'll clear everything." Please don't interfere was the unspoken words that lingered after Yibo left the room.

Mr. and Mrs. Wang stood in silence, not knowing how to react towards Yibo's request...demand? There were only a few instances that the family remembered in which Yibo had asked them for a favor. He has always been an independent boy who found his own answers and fought his own battles. The two parents often felt neglected by how little Yibo depended on them. Therefore, when he does seek their assistance, there was only one answer that would cross their mind.

"He's a good man," Hai Kuan spoke up. "Yibo smiles whenever they're together." The parents turned to look at Hai Kuan with astoundment.

He smiled back at them and continued "ratting" out Yibo's hidden personality. "He even wined for attention," Hai Kuan whispered.

The parents could only stand there with widened eyes for they didn't know how to handle the information. They couldn't even imagine such words in the same sentence with their son's name, but surely Hai Kuan wasn't lying to them. It wasn't that they were willing to let the topic slide, but it was enough to keep them from advancing any further.

As mentioned before, there was only one reaction when Yibo made a request towards them so all they could do now was to apologized to the Yu's

~~~~~

[WYB: Zhan-ge

Zhan-ge: Bo-di

WYB: Are you doing alright?

Zhan-ge: ...

Zhan-ge: Should I not be?

WYB: How's the hospital

Zhan-ge: it's been busier than normal, but nothing I can't handle

Zhan-ge: Oh, there seem to be more reporters around lately

Zhan-ge: we must have extra important VIPs or something

WYB: no one has bothered you?

Zhan-ge: 😸😸

Zhan-ge: Why would they bother me?

Zhan-ge: I'm just a normal guy Yibo

Zhan-ge: ...

Zhan-ge: wait

Zhan-ge: will they approach me?

Zhan-ge: is it because of the performance???]

Never before had Yibo felt so grateful that Xiao Zhan's life was so different from his. While he was worried and feeling guilty for involving Xiao Zhan in his scandalous celebrity life, here was the man who didn't even realize that he was under the limelight. Whether Xiao Zhan was extremely oblivious or just didn't involve himself in the entertainment circle; Yibo felt relief and hope it remained this way. Let him be the only one to deal with this mess.

[Zhan-ge: Yibo?

Zhan-ge: Bo-di??

Zhan-ge: WANG YI BO!!!

WYB: I'm here, I'm here

WYB: Zhan-ge

WYB: I've said this before and I'll say it every day

WYB: You are amazing at everything that you do

Zhan-ge: ....wang yi bo

WYB: I'm here

WYB: only look at me Zhan-ge

WYB: if those reporters interfere with your life, ignore them

WYB: Let me take care of it

Zhan-ge: ...

Zhan-ge: because you're professionally trained to deal with them?

WYB: Yes, but no

WYB: It's because I'm a COOL BOYFRIEND

Zhan-ge: WOW

Zhan-ge: Wang Yi Bo, are you even human?]