Queen's Crest

The elevator door dinged and slid open, letting the spartan, once again, overlook Vale from Beacon tower. Ozpin sat behind his gear infused desk and looked at Reven with a look of both inquiry and concern.

"Please, have a seat." Ozpin offered, gesturing a sturdy chair place facing him across his desk. Shadow obliged. "Why do you still wear that?"

"My EVA helmet gives me many tactical advantages on the battle field, with readouts, coms, air filters and..."

"But why in the school? There are no threats here."

"I disagree. But headwear is not why you summoned me. I assume you watched the cafeteria fiasco? Is that what this is about?"

Ozpin continued his gaze as if trying to conclude something. "Would you mind removing your helmet? I would prefer a more personal interaction."

Reven sighed before unlocking the seal with a hiss. He removed the helmet and placed it on the desk.

"Thank you. Mr. Frost..."

"Shadow"

"I think I'll stick with Mr. Frost for right now. It appears you were right Mr. Frost. You are exceptional. Never before have I seen someone punch a Death Stalker and Nevermore in the face with as much force as you did. Much less in the same day. And even rarer on your first encounter. And your little brawl in the cafeteria today proves you have the speed as well. You truly are huntsman material."

"Thank you sir."

"That being said, you are still not ready." Ozpin said defiantly.

"Sir?"

"Your skills in Battle are unmatched, however your leadership skills leave much to be desired."

"I spent my life taking orders, not giving them. And all due respect sir, I work better alone."

"All you want to be is militarily hardware, however that is not what we need you to be."

"Why not? You already have what can be considered an army of huntsman and huntresses at your doorstep, willing to do whatever you tell them."

"Why do you want to dispatch your current rank as team leader? Surely you must find it reassuring to have students under your cammand?"

"If only that were the case. These aren't soldiers. They are undisciplined. Uncooperative. I can't lead them. And frankly, I don't want to. All I want, is to escape your little game and fight the real fight. The UNSC trusted me with billions of lives over and over again, why can't you trust me to do what is necessary? We were in open warfare, planets were turning to ash, trillions of innocents were burnt alive in a genocidal campaign. And me and my fellow spartans were responsible for fighting that presumed indestructible force. So I assure you, whatever war your in, if the public is oblivious, than your threat is child's play compared to the Covenant. So Let. Me. Fight."

Ozpin did not change his analytical expression as he considered the Spartans proposition. Silence ensued, leaving only the steady clicks of the gears above, adding to the calculated suspence of the atmosphere.

"Very well then. General Ironwood is arriving at Beacon next semester to oversee the Vytal festival. It is then, when you will transfer your service to him as an Atleasian Asset. You will therefore be under his jurisdiction and it will be up to him what you know."

"And until then?"

"How about I leave that up to you?"

...

Time skip: Vytal contenders

After several months and many grueling exams the semester was coming to a close, cueing the arrival of the kingdoms contenders. The weather change seemed vague, almost absent, as the sky was still light and the cool breeze, pleasant.