Accident - Azumane Asahi

Art by CanaryWitch on Deviantart!

______________________________________

As you opened your eyes, you were greeted by an unfamiliar ceiling. Your body felt heavy as you could not find the strength to move. The unknown environment made you feel uncomfortable. However, you needed to know where you were; you could not be at peace until you check it for yourself. Gathering a bit of willpower and the last bit of strength you had, you turned your head to the right. You saw some machines and what looked like strings attached to it. Your vision was very blurry, you could not perceive forms around you. You waited for a few minutes for your eyes to adjust. You realized that the machine next to you was displaying a pulse, more precisely, yours. You glanced around a bit more and finally realized you were in a hospital.

You went back to your initial position, wondering what happened to you. Considering you barely felt anything in your body, you knew your condition was at its worst. You closed your eyes back. As you breathed, you noted that you had something in your nostrils. Weirdly, you did not feel any pain at the moment. Your body was just numb. Were you given painkillers or something similar?

An hour later, you managed to move your fingers a bit. You felt better knowing you could still feel them. The sensation came back in your arms but, when you tried to move them, you felt a feeling of discomfort shot through your body. You winced in pain and gave up on trying for now. Suddenly, you heard the door opened and saw a person in white. You guessed he was a doctor. He walked to you with a smile.

"Hello, [last name]-san. Happy to see you awake," he greeted you, the grin still plastered on his face as he checked his papers in his hands. "Do you remember what happened?"

You opened your mouth to speak, but no sound came. Your throat felt like it was on fire. The doctor immediately realized and asked a nurse to bring water. He waited with you in the room as he looked at the results present on the different screens. You would try to speak from time to time yet, your throat was still very sore. He would stop you, explaining to you that you should not force yourself. A few minutes later, the nurse came back with a glass a bottle of water. She came closer to the bed, placing the plate on the nightstands next to you. She took a remote and raised the part of the bed where your upper body was resting. She carefully watched your reaction to make sure you did feel any more pain. She took the glass of water and brought it to your lips. You drank it slowly with closed eyes. You felt alive again, the water easing most of the pain you felt in your throat. You let out a small sigh as you finished drinking. In a low, trembling voice, you asked for a second one. The nurse nodded with a smile.

Once you were finished drinking, the nurse stepped out, leaving you and the doctor alone. "D-doctor," you managed to say, louder than before. "What happened to me?"

He nodded as if he knew I was going to react this way. "You had a car accident. Your car slammed into another one who did not respect the markings," he exclaimed, his smile dropping. "Thankfully, everyone made it out alive."

That was a relief. You tried to remember, but nothing came. It was as if your brain refused for you to remember anything. Your eyes wandered from the doctor to your body. Now that you were sitting, you could finally see the state of you. You were taken aback by the sight of it. You could not see what was under the cover, but you knew that your legs were put in casts while your arms were covered in bandages. You were thankful to be alive and get out of this disaster in one piece.

"Will I recover well from these injuries?" you asked, a bit worried.

"Yes, you will." A smile made its way on your face. You were so relieved. "It will take a lot of time and courage to be well and walk again, but we will be here to help you."