36: New Home

The next morning I awake alone in bed. I slip out of Mr. Olson's room and venture out into the kitchen. I find Mr. Olson sitting at the dining room table typing away on his laptop. When he notices me he shuts his laptop. 

"Good morning, Ray. How did you sleep?"

He asks. I shrug and ask,

"Where did you go last night?"

"To the group home to fill out some paperwork."

"What paperwork?"

I question. A smile spreads across Mr. Olson's face.

"Paperwork to release you into my custody."

He beams. My mouth drops open.

"Really?!"

I exclaim. He nods. I squeal and jump up and down in excitement. No more fear. No more being tormented by Mr. Tucker! Mr. Olson clears his throat, interrupting my mini dance party.

"Do you need to go back for any more of your things?"

He asks. I shake my head. I can't stop smiling! Mr. Olson embraces me in a hug and picks me up and twirls me around. 

That day Mr. Olson and I go to the store to buy a few supplies for me like a new toothbrush and shampoo and stuff. I don't think I have been this happy since before my dad died. When we get back from the store Mr. Olson sets the bag of stuff on the counter and says,

"I supposed we should get a room set up for you."

He leads me to the guest room that I haven't seen before and honestly it's pretty plain. The walls are a boring cream color and the bedding is a dull grey, but it'll do. Mr. Olson sets my stuff down on the bed as he says,

"Feel free to decorate it as you please. It's your room now."

He smiles and I can't help but smile back. I throw my arms around him and nuzzle my face into his chest.

"Thank you so much."

I whisper. He plants a kiss on the top of my head.

"I've got some work to do. I'll leave you to get settled."

He says as he leaves the room. I go over to my backpack and open it, beginning to unpack some things into the dresser when I suddenly think of Braden. I remember he gave me his number, so I shoot him a text.

Me:  Hey, Braden! It's Ray. I won't be coming back to the group home. Someone took me in. :) I hope you're okay.

Braden: That's awesome! I'm okay. I went back to the group home this morning and all seems well. Mr. Tucker seems pissed, but he's just moping around. Would you maybe want to hang out tonight?

Me: Hopefully that prick leaves you alone! Where would you want to hang out? 

Braden: We could meet at the park on the corner of Lincoln and 1st at like 8?

Me: That sounds good. :) Let me just go ask the people I'm staying with.

I finish unpacking my backpack and then I go venture off to find Mr. Olson. I find him in the dining room again on his laptop. 

"Could I go hang out with a friend at 8?"

I ask. Mr. Olson looks up from his laptop for a brief second.

"Who?"

"Braden"

I reply. He shuts his laptop.

"You're not hanging out at the group home I hope."

I shake my head. 

"We're meeting at a park."

"Okay, just be back by 11."

He says, resuming what he was doing on his laptop.

When I meet Braden at the park I'm immediately greeted with a bear hug. When he releases me from the hug he holds me at arms length and examines me.

"Hello to you too."

I say with a giggle. He blushes. 

"It looks like Mr. Tucker got you pretty good."

He says, gesturing to the bruises on my face. I shrug.

"I'll survive. I'm just glad I don't have to go back there."

"So, tell me about the people you're staying with. Are they nice?"

Braden asks as we walk over to a park bench to sit. I don't exactly want people to know that I'm staying with Mr. Olson, so I lie.

"It's just an old friend of my dad's. They're really nice."

"That's good."

He says, looking down at his shoes.

"So, why did you want to hang out?"

"I just wanted to see how you're doing and I wanted to ask you something..."

He trails off. 

"What is it?"

I push. He starts fidgeting and blushing like mad.

"I was wondering if maybe you'd want to be my girlfriend..."

My mouth drops open in surprise and Braden starts to continuously apologize. 

"You know I think you're really sweet, Braden, but I don't really want a boyfriend right now, not with everything going on. I need a friend more than anything and I hope me saying no doesn't make you stop talking to me..."

I frown at the thought of losing Braden. I'd still have Mikey, but he's been so preoccupied by his girlfriend it's like I don't even exist. Braden puts his arm around me.

"You're my best friend, Ray. I'd never stop talking to you and I respect your decision."

I smile up at him.

"Thanks, Braden. You're my best friend too."

That night I get home a little bit after 11. As I walk in I'm startled when I hear Mr. Olson clear his throat.

"You're late."

He says. I look at the time.

"It's only 11:10."

I say. Mr. Olson crosses his arms.

"I said to be home by 11."

I look down at my feet.

"I'm sorry, sir..."

Mr. Olson walks over to me and begins walking in a circle around me.

"What kind of punishment do you think would be suitable for not being punctual?"

He asks. I shrug.

"I-I don't know, sir..."

In a blink he has me pinned to the wall face first with my wrists pinned behind my back. 

"Perhaps I should rip your jeans off right here and spank you until my hand print is engraved on your ass."

He whispers in my ear. I suddenly have new found confidence as I say,

"Maybe you should."

At my remark he grabs a handful of my hair and pulls my head back. 

"You'd like that too much."

He says directly in my ear. In a flash he has me spun around facing him, but still pinned to the wall. He looks deep into my eyes as he says,

"There's so many things I'm going to do to you..."