:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Three

Start from the beginning

            "That isn't my fault," I insisted, glaring at the vampire before me. "You know, learning vampires are real and having one drink your blood in one night is a lot to take in. Not to mention I'm anemic! I could have died!"

            "You're anemic?"

            I turned to Sebastian, who had an amused look on his face. "Yeah, so?"

            "How ironic. A vampire kidnapping an anemic human," he mused with a small laugh. "Great choice, Vince."

            "That's what I said," Joel added, grinning.

            "Just try to erase her memory," Vincent snapped.

            "As you wish, brother."

            As Sebastian said those words, something clicked in my head. Brothers! That explained it. How did I not realize that before? It was so obvious! Well, I thought dryly, the fact that I wanted to completely deny that vampires existed, let alone had families, might be one of the leading factors...

            Suddenly Sebastian was on the bed with me, kneeling about a foot away. His face was only inches away from mine. Immediately I moved backwards again, letting out a gasp of surprise as I pitched backwards off the bed. Before my head could make contact with the floor, I felt someone catch me, and proceed to rectify me. Now on my feet, off the bed, I glanced behind me and saw Joel smirking.

            "You almost had a nasty crash there, love."

            "Don't call me that!"

            "Why not... love?"

            "Because," I started, frowning at him. "You sound like one of those cheesy British people that someone would read about in a book."

            Joel grinned. "But I am British."

            For a moment, I was caught off guard. "Huh?"

Joel laughed at my expression. "Just because I don't have a heavy accent doesn't mean I'm not British," he told me. "I've been here so long, I've lost it. And 'love' is a friendly form of address and is used a lot, actually."

            Now that I was listening more closely for his accent, I could catch a British accent hinting at each word. "Oh," I finally said lamely.

            "You two can chat later, but for now, we have to see if we can erase this idiot's memory," Vincent growled, narrowing his eyes at Joel.

            "If her memory is erased, we won't be able to chat later, Vivi," Joel responded, rolling his eyes.

            "Yeah, Vivi," I teased just to annoy him.

            Vincent glared at me, and if looks could kill, I'd be dead ten times over. I inhaled sharply, frightened by his intimidating gaze. Without warning, Sebastian was in front of me, cutting off my eye contact with Vincent. I jumped violently in shock, taking a step away from him. When Sebastian raised his hand, I flinched, bringing my hands to my face.

            "Vince, what did you do to her?" Sebastian inquired, watching me curiously.

            "What do you mean? I didn't do anything."

            "Then why is she so terrified?"

            "How should I know?" Vincent said with a scowl. "Just try to erase her mind, damn it."