Mistress From Hell

Start from the beginning

"Look up." His Majesty instructed her, his voice beaming with authority.

Reluctantly, she raised her head. An eunuch shoved the lamp next to her face for the dragon to see her clearly. The dragon's eyebrows lifted in recognition and so did she recognise him too. He was the man she talked to in the garden a while back. At that time she did not know he was the emperor himself, she had spoken freely and openly.

Dao kept a clueless expression and pretended she did not remember him.

"Isn't Dao a palace maid?" Emperor Huizhong was unsure because she covered her uniform with Luo Meng's cloak.

"She is. Luo Meng is aware he has wronged the dragon with this." Her lover took responsibility. This conversation appeared to be not the first one they had concerning her.

"I'm disappointed in you. Zhen may be a friend to you but it doesn't mean you can abuse boundaries. Palace maids may not be touched, even though I do not wish to have her."

"This servant has deceived His Majesty by stating Dao was a courtesan. Deepest of apologies."

Luo Meng was taking responsibility for her wrongdoing before the dragon. What if he was killed?

She felt Luo Meng take her hand and squeeze it, reading her mind. It was his way of instruction, she must keep quiet and not intrude on this matter. Why was he doing this? Did he not know that made her love him all the more?

"Likewise, for lying, I have to punish you. I will not tolerate such behaviour within my dragon palace."

"His Majesty is benevolent."

"Who is punishing who in the middle of the night?" It was the voice of her mistress.

"My Lady!" The entourage welcomed her.

"You should be sleeping." Emperor Huizhong walked to Li Lian. The change on his face when Li Lian appeared was evident. He was entranced and enthralled by her, Dao wondered why her mistress questioned his feelings for her in all this while.

The light was taken from Dao's face as the attention went to her mistress. She sunk further behind Luo Meng not wanting her mistress to notice her.

"How can I sleep when you left me as soon as I slept? Don't you know the bed is not the same without you?"

Everyone awkwardly lowered their heads. These words were too explicit to listen to.

Her mistress looked around then continued, "Who is getting punished?"

"Luo Meng has misused my trust and kindness. For this, Luo Meng must kneel for three days. Moreover, he must―"

"Aiya, Your Majesty. Punishing people in the middle of the night attracts bad luck, whatever Luo Meng did, it can be discussed during the day."

The emperor firmly rebuked her. "You are going against me for another man? Hao. Luo Meng, you will get a hundred lashes from the Punishment Bureau." 

"Many thanks to His Majesty." Luo Meng accepted the punishment.

Annoyed, His Majesty stormed off.

The emperor had someone cut his speech and did not take offence. Her mistress definitely was favoured. It was also sweet of her to speak on behalf of Luo Meng, although that resulted in him getting harsher punishment.

"Look who is getting punished this time, Luo Meng?" Li Lian mocked. "Except this time unlike me, you will have bruises. How does that feel?"

Dao was wrong. Li Lian defended him on purpose to have His Majesty implicate Luo Meng with a harsher punishment out of jealousy. If only her mistress knew Dao loved Luo Meng. She shouldn't have Luo Meng as the enemy.

"What are you still doing there?" Emperor Huizhong called from afar.

"Coming, Your Majesty!" She shouted back. "We are fair and square, Luo Meng. Sleep well." She lifted her night robes and ran after the emperor.

"Your mistress is from hell," Luo Meng retorted.

"Why did you not tell them the truth? Why did you lie for me?" Dao didn't like favours that left her owing people.

"Do you think you would be alive right now if I spoke the truth? His Majesty hates palace maids and eunuchs as it is said the previous dragon's entourage was responsible for the fall of the dragon. He would kill you without thinking twice. Even Li Lian would not be able to save you."

"My mistress cares for me. You misunderstand her," Dao defended.

"Although she has a slight hold on His Majesty, she seems to have selfish missions. And I don't think His Majesty is in love to be merciful." Luo Meng pushed himself to stand using the wall. "Dao, I have said this before. Let us part ways and stay away from each other. I cannot sacrifice my relationship with my master just for a relationship that was based on lies."

It was a dagger to her heart.

"But what about what we feel?"

"Little girl, it's time to wake up. This is life. You can't act based on your feelings all the time. This is the last we shall talk. Never approach me ever again." He took his cloak from her. "It is over, Dao. Move on and so will I."

S.V