Well, that certainly explained the influence it had on the prison guards.  It was not just a bought or traded influence, Chanyeol had literally been his boss.  He was the head of all the prison guards there, not to mention the prison director and everyone else.  No wonder the other prisoners were terrified of him.  A snap of your fingers and it could turn your lives into hell.  He was too crazy, too insane to believe it.  He stared in disbelief at the article and then back at his best friend, "You can't just BUY a prison."  Prisons are not for sale!  Jongin shook his head and picked up the smartphone.

-Man, of course they are.  This is South Korea.  Everything is for sale, even the prisons.  Hell, this is how this country was founded, paying private contractors to take their prisoners and throw them on a rock on the other side of the world.  People have been profiting from prisons in this country for longer than we have been a country.  Baekhyun's jaw dropped at the article.  -I do not think so.  And what are you talking about, taking advantage of prisons?  Jongin was a history specialist, so he explained.

-In the 1980s, there was a massive boom in the prison population.  State governments were unable to obtain voter funds for the new prisons, so they turned to private investors.  Private investors built the prisons and signed contracts with states that promised them up to $25,000 per head each year and an occupancy rate of 90%.  The prison population has been booming in this country ever since.  Inevitably, the private companies that run the prisons realized the huge workforce at their disposal and began hiring it.  Dozens of outside companies are now making use of the prison industrial complex.

This encourages even more monetary incentive to lock people up, corporate shareholders pressure politicians to issue longer and harsher sentences, and therefore the system feeds on itself.  The prison industrial complex is one of the most profitable industries in South Korea and its investors are in Busan and Incheon.  Your friend Park Chanyeol was one of them.  Jongin raised a glass with feigned joy.  -I have to give him credit.  The funniest part is that he was probably making money from his own incarceration.  I mean $25,000 a year is like finding pennies on the street for a guy like him but even so, irony alone is priceless.  Baekhyun finally understood what Chanyeol was referring to when he said 'follow the money'.

Finally he understood why the prison system was the way it was.  It was because the corporate powers wanted it that way.  And they financed the politicians and the politicians made the laws and established the state budgets and told the South Korean people what they wanted to hear, that by doing this, they were making the country 'safer'. 

And, of course, the fate of convicts was never very high on the list of public sympathy.  Baekhyun realized that the truth was that he was probably never going to change.  In any case, it was going to get worse.  Young men like him, those whose lives and families would be destroyed, were simply human collateral damage in a corrupt system.  The devastation and shock he felt must have been written on his face because Jongin leaned forward and comforted him.

-I would say that if someone from BAD AS THIS can change so much, you know it has to be true love.  Baekhyun looked at him confused.  -Hey?  Kris rolled his eyes.  -Oh please.  I don't think for a minute that Park Chanyeol has been 'rehabilitated' by the prison system.  Now that I know the full story, it was obviously all because of you.  He is in love with you, and during all this time you did not know who he was or what he had done.  To you he was a hero.  That can change a man; someone believing in them.  It changes the way they see themselves.  So now, I think, he's really trying to be one.  For you.

-But Chanyeol and I, the worlds we live in are too different.  He is like this powerful and world renowned criminal lord or something.  I'm just a normal boy.  We are not even in the same league.  We have nothing in common and- Jongin rolled his eyes and his voice rose to a high-pitched screech as he clasped his hands under his chin.  -How can we ever be together?  Baekhyun hit him as hard as he could on the arm.  The dark-haired boy sulked.  -Come on man!

-Okay, but my point still holds.  People who are drastically different from each other fall in love all the time.  Like in half of all romantic movies.  Can we please omit all the cliche, exaggerated and dying 'we are too different' for once?  You're crazy about him and he's obviously crazy about you.  They'll find out the rest.  Luhan looked at him.  -Is that your advice?  'We'll find out' - He made appointment signs with his finger in the air.  -Yes.  Because that is what people who love each other do when they have problems.  They face them.  Together.  -But what about all the crime stuff?

-If Chanyeol is really trying to turn the page, he's going to put all of that behind him.  If you don't, you will have to respond.  And you better not put up with that shit.  -You know me better than that.  Jongin shrugged his shoulders.  -So, if you love him, hold him responsible.  That is what couples do for each other, they hold each other accountable.  People have their problems, drink, play, overeat... Baekhyun smiled and shook his head.  -Leading international crime syndicates, buying entire prisons and messing around with super-illegal insider trading in the stock market?  Jongin smiled wryly.

-Okay, yes.  It is definitely a material that needs repair.  It has some problems.  And if he doesn't resign, he leaves.  But you give it a try!  People can change Baekhyun, when they really want to... when they are given the right reasons.  -As love?  -As love.  Baekhyun started to smile like an idiot.  Jongin smiled back and grabbed the waitress's bill. 

-This is from me.  Now what are you waiting for?  Go find your man!  Baekhyun was outside and running before his friend had even finished talking.

——————————————————
wow i know i took to much time but i finally could update so hope you like it!!

SWEET • chanbeak ✔️ जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें