Chapter 8: Dissolved Words

September 19,2021

"There are always explanations. What matters is their value. Are they capable of twisting fate?"

•ARYN•

"Aryn, are you fine?" Ellena inquired in a worried voice

"Yes, yes. I am just...very tired. I need some rest."

"Ethan, you can go home. I'll drive Aryn. We're neighbours anyway. When she feels better, I promise that she'll see you again," Ellena assured Ethan.

He nodded, not daring to reply. As I entered the car, confusion and pain circled his brown eyes. Guilt burned my heart as he left, with a shattered soul. This was only the beginning of the book's power. Only a few pages were able to control my actions. I felt afraid, as sweat dripped down my forehead. Although it was difficult to acknowledge, 'Rules of Death', was my second prison. One which I had no explanation for, nor knew my release date.

"Aryn, I know prison must have been exhausting. But, did you have to treat Ethan this way? He suffered a lot while you were away. He remained faithful to you, and at the end, you just push him away like that?" she exclaimed.

"I don't know. I don't know Ellena. I'm very confused and lost," I answered.

"What do you mean?" she asked in bewilderment.

She sighed, pressing the breaks. As I looked to the shimmering sun dancing between the clouds, relief spread through my thoughts. The rich smell of the car's leather reminded me of everything I forgot in prison. Nothing changed on the rough roads, except for some new franchised shops. Farmers harvested the coloured crops as they wiped their sweat, and their hard work wasn't any less.

After a long ride, we arrived in the neighbourhood. Although not much changed in the city, everything was different in the district. The little houses became empty and put for sale. The flourishing flowers were now dead, and only a few citizens remained. But, all of them were neighbours who couldn't afford to go to another house. As they witnessed my face, they looked away in shame. They pretended to water what's left from the rotten flowers as if it seemed real.

"Ellena, what happened? Only a single year passed. Where did everyone go?" I stated in a sorrowful voice.

She didn't reply, and her eyes looked down, escaping mine. Suspicion grew more as she breathed heavily, and turned away. As I opened the squeaking door, dust particles flew in all directions. Everything was left intact. Opening the curtains, little birds flew around each other. But, something felt odd. This place wasn't the same anymore. It didn't feel cold or lonely, but empty and covered in old rubbish.

"Ellena, you didn't answer my question."

Her lips were sealed, and her hands were tangled in fear. She didn't speak, and the air got thicker each second.