Chapter 7: The goodness within

Start from the beginning

"Yeah." She laughed, shaking her head. Max couldn't help the grin that slipped on his lips despite his depressed mood. She just got him.

"Anyway," Emily sighed again as they stopped near the school doors.

"I have a little present for you. And it's not much, I just figured it's better than that hoodie you've been rocking. Even though you make it look good."

Max tsked at the phrasing. She smirked, amused.
She pulled out a black bandanna and displayed it to him with a beautiful smile.

"I was gonna get you a red one but Dustin said that would probably be a bad idea." They laughed a little. He began to try it on when no one was looking.

"Holy shit, what am I? A Chicano gangster?" Emily giggled and shrugged. "You look even more badass than you usually do."

He thanked her and she helped him adjust it under his hat. It helped cover up some of the bald ass 5 head.

Max leaned down about a foot to give her a kiss before they went their separate ways. She'd taken notice of his suffocation and opted out the morning class so he could have some time alone.

He didn't want her to feel bad about worrying about him but he did appreciate the brief separation.

Watching Max, you'd think he was just like any other guy in school, fuck around with friends and sports, do a lot of stupid stuff. Hell, he once got a haircut in the bathroom by a 15 year old barber.

He's done some shit.

And he had a kind, gorgeous, amazing girlfriend. They were well known, really social. All their friends talked about how they were most likely to get knocked up and married. That was supposed to be a compliment, he'd thought.

He really did love Emily and he didn't want to lose her. Ever. But one day, he would have to tell her the truth. It's the least she deserved. And as hard as he tried, he couldn't imagine any circumstance where she would be okay with it. And Max got it, completely.

He really fucking sucked.

Max dreaded marine biology because he shared it with Kyle. He dreaded every class he shared with him. But this was just below the fuckin belt.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait. Come here for a sec, man.." He watched as DaKarie pulled Kyle towards him. He groaned and bared his teeth awkwardly.

"I don't like this." Kyle stated, but gripped the guys face anyway, lanky fingers brushing his chin. He only let one kiss slip despite DaKarie's efforts. He groaned but Kyle just shoved his face away.

"Come on, you owe me after the stunt that motherfu-

"Karie, get out of here you jealous bitch." Karie chuckled heavily, swatting the kids ass. He backed away before he could return the favor.

"Your phone better be scrubbed."

"Yeah, alright." Kyle shrugged him off, shouldering his way into class.

"Goofy little fucker.." He muttered, shaking his head.
The wide grin on his face dropped as  their eyes met.

"What you staring at?..heh, ese?" He looked up at the new piece on Max's head. He shoulder checked him, walking passed. His wrist was gripped before he could move any further.

"What, man?" DaKarie glared, any affection he used to hold for him long gone. Max couldn't seem to care as anger coursed through him.

He lived with his dad who didn't understand him. His brother who ignored him. His step family who hated him. And it was all Karie's fault.