Chapter 23: Justice

"Your doing it w- no, turn it the other way. The other way Karie!"

"What do you think I'm doing?!"

Max shook his head where he sat, watching the two boys try to get dressed. DaKarie was struggling to tie his tie and Kyle was about to have an aneurysm helping.

They wore full suits, Kyle's black and Karie's a dark blue. All Max wore was a button up which was the easiest thing he could put on. His sleeves were rolled to cool him off from his hot flashes.

"Hey." He let his shoulder be shoved. He looked up a moment later. The boys were watching him, concerned. "Stupid question but..you good?"

"No." Max forced out, knowing what they would say if he said otherwise. He had to stop pretending like everything was fine all the time. It was one of his biggest issues, he knew that.

In reality, everything was shit.

"I mean it's terrible what that boy went through but I don't understand why you have to go." His father sat at the table, arms crossed. He looked deeply confused.

All his immediate family members were there, his dad and older brother along with his stepmom. All the people he figured would have to know.

There was no point telling his sister because she was busy with her job, there was no need to worry her. His mom was still MIA and Luis really didn't need to learn this about him.

"What? What is it, is he your friend?" Max sighed, staring at his lap.

"No, it.." He cussed at the tears that came. He was so ashamed. "There's something I have to tell you."

"Max. I know your nervous." Kyle stated. He laid a comforting hand on his shoulder, trying to be there. "Your not alone."

"I know."

"Good now let's go!" Karie clapped, pushing them on. He grabbed one of Max's caps, tossing it on his head as he stood. His eyes narrowed as he was pulled in with a thick arm. "This is it, baby. You ready to end this? Huh?!"

"Yeah, yeah.." Max droned despite his relief. The situation was..less then idealistic. His family had been different since they found out. Staring at him as if it was written across his forhead.

But the boys didn't let how they saw him change. Even if it was small, it helped him stay afloat.

They exited the hospital, piling into the car. He was glad for his strength coming back because today of all days, he knew he would need it.

His mind drifted to the guy he met, stubborn and honest. Maybe a little too honest. Christian was a good man. Max might not have met that part of him but Kyle did. Kyle was the best judge of character you could get.

This was Christians day. He shouldn't be upset. He had no right to be. He took notice of the few people gathered out front of the building. His father and brother, even though he insisted they didn't come. He could feel the breath leave his lungs and he gripped the seats of the car, struggling to breath.

Kyle pulled him close, pressing Max's head to his chest. He held him there for a moment, comforting him as Karie parked.

It's all about Christian.