"Appreciate it," he said, offering a faint smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

He hurried out of class, and our conversation remained minimal until lunch. Pep rally began during the latter part of our lunch break, and Holly Dae suggested we ditch it for burgers at The Grill, but with my Dad situation being what it is, I sadly had to pass on the tempting offer.

Walking into the cafeteria, bag in hand, I searched for my brother. While I typically sat with Harry, the thought of joining him and his friends left me feeling queasy. 

Carson sat at a table on his own by the door. I didn't know what gave me the urge to stroll over and plop down right in front of him. He looked at me like I'd forgotten something, then went back to picking at his food. I felt a pang of disappointment as he didn't initiate a conversation.

"Whatcha got there?"

"Umm..." Carson stared at the food spread out before him. "Zoodles and cauliflower nuggets."

"Cauliflower nuggets?" I choked out, partially amused. "Can't say I've ever heard of those."

"Don't knock it til you try it," he said, offering me one.

"Mm, crunchy. And zoodles, you say?"

"Zucchini noodles."

   I laughed. "You're quite the adventurous eater? What's next, kale ice cream?"

"Mom's a bit of a health freak," Carson told me.

"Yeah, she told me she used to be a nurse."

Carson's grin fell, and he took a long moment before replying. "What else did she say?"

"Not much, why?"

"Don't listen to her, my mom talks a lot of crap. That woman's living in her own bubble." He glanced at me, as if assessing whether I'd buy into his mom's narrative.

I raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "What kind of crap?"

"Oh, you know, about life, success, and the importance of kale."

"Carse!" Genevieve called from across the cafeteria.Genevieve's call echoed across the cafeteria. She bounded over to our table. I couldn't hide the disgust on my face, even if I tried. "Why don't you come and sit with us?"

Carson glanced at me, then back at Genevieve. "I'm sitting with Max today. Maybe tomorrow?"

Genevieve shrugged. "Sure, no problem. See you in class." She shot me a sharp look before sashaying away.

"Why are you even friends with her?" The repulse was evident in my voice.

Carson smiled gently and said, "Maybe because she doesn't think I'm a burden."

I was about to argue, but the bell rang, ending our conversation abruptly.

I got up and put my bag over my shoulder. "Coming?"

"Where to?"

"Didn't you hear? We have a pep rally. They're pretty lame, but you're still expected to come."