2

Chapter 02

Chapter 02

"Woah. You dyed your hair again."

Holly Dae greeted me from the other side of the door with a grin wider than Texas. She had tried out a new makeup look. Her eyelids were covered in bright, pink eyeshadow and her mouth was coated in a nude lipstick — this happened at least twice a week.

But that wasn't what captured my attention.

It was her hair that she had snipped off to her shoulders and dyed a sandy blonde.

"You like?" she asked when she noticed me gawking at her.

"It's..." I shrugged and looked at the Harry Styles poster on her wall instead. I was desperately trying to hold back my laugh. "It's different."

"Now we look like sisters!" She grabbed my hand and pulled me into her room.

"My hair is more of a dirty blonde..." I went to say, but the tone of a Britney Spears album playing suddenly silenced my voice.

Holly Dae reached out to tug at a strand of my bushy hair. "Ever heard of a hairbrush?"

I refrained from telling her that the last time I tried to brush my hair — which was a few days ago — the brush got caught in my curls and I had to snap it off to take it out.

"Something happened?" I asked, her hair transformations signaling emotional shifts.

"Not exactly, but I need to show you something."

As she checked her phone, I inquired, "Did you break up with Nik?"

"What? Why would you think that?" Holly Dae's hazel eyes widened. "Is he cheating on me? I knew it! He's been a little dry in sex lately—"

"Of course not! Was just making sure," I mumbled. I didn't need details about her and Nik's intimate life. "Plus, you're still a virgin."

"Oral sex is still sex," Holly Dae told me.

   "So God's okay with you sucking dick but not sex before marriage?" I muttered under my breath.

"What was that?" Holly Dae scowled.

"Nothing." I hop onto her bed.

"Get your shoes off the bed! My mom will kill me — you know how crazy she gets."

"Sorry. And she's not that bad."

Holly Dae, mid-message to Nik, retorted, "She is crazy and no one can convince me otherwise. Her and that psychotic boyfriend of hers."