Chapter 10

Sunwoo brushes his teeth as he turns on the TV, revealing the news channel with a surprising headline banner streaming across the top of the screen. On the screen is a familiar face from the gang that his high school "friends" are in: the leader and established of the entire pack, Choi Soobin.

"Breaking News!" A news reporter begins. "As of last night, criminal gang leader Choi Soobin was notified by a young boy after the criminal broke into his house. It was last night when the criminal claimed to be his father, using photographs and polaroids of him and the young boy's baby pictures."

On the screen shows baby pictures of someone who seems so strangely familiar; however, the female adult seem foreign and not recognizable to Sunwoo.

"The young boy's name: Choi Chanhee. He was found beaten and nearly unconscious in his bed room, he's awake and well in the hospital now. On the screen is a picture of Choi Soobin, please notify authorities and your local police if you know about his wearabouts. This man is a dangerous criminal, known for gang fighting, jumping innocent people, and murder."

Sunwoo screams and drops his toothbrush onto the floor as he stares at the screen, completely petrified. The leader of the most dangerous gang in Korea, is Chanhee's father? The soft, precious nerd in his school?

"I-if this happened last night . . . It means I could've been there." Sunwoo's hands start shaking and his eyes start swelling up with tears. He grabs his phone and calls Chanhee. The phone rings for a minute, no response: only an automated message. He calls again, but no response.

Sunwoo has no one else to call, so he messages who he definitely knows would tell him on instagram: Changmin.

Sun_Wooya: Changmin! Please tell me where Chanhee is, I'm losing my mind.

Changmin almost instantly responds.

QChangminie19: Where are you? I'll come get you, there's no more parking spots at the hospital, it's flooded with reporters.

Sunwoo entrusts him with his address, and within ten minutes time: Changmin's blue car pulls up into his driveway. Sunwoo quickly rushes out of his house and locks the door behind him.

"Thank you so much, you have no idea how worried I am." Sunwoo says as he gets into the car.

"You must be really beaten up. Especially since you drove him home."

"How'd you know?" Sunwoo inquires, his eyebrows knitted out of bewilderment.

"I, well the three of us, saw you take him home and talk to him outside before you two left the party." Changmin answers as he speeds off down the road towards the Seoul Hospital.

The two boys push through the clusters of news reporters, journalists, and whatever other types of nosey people could possibly be out here at 9 AM. Changmin flashes his visitors card to the nurse at the front desk and the two boys get into the nearest elevator.

As expected, once they get to the floor Chanhee's room is on, there is another hoard of reporters crowding around the door to a hospital room while trying to angle their cameras to see through the small rectangular window built into the sliding door. Angrily, both Sunwoo and Changmin ward off the reports by "lightly" pushing and guiding them away from the door so they can get in.

"Stay our and move away. Stop trying to get anything on camera!" Changmin furiously yells before slamming the sliding door before a single camera lense could snap a picture of Chanhee in his bed.

Sunwoo looks over at the hospital bed, and what he sees is heart shattering. Chanhee is sitting upright, propped up by a couple pillows, with a bandage wrapped around his gown on his waist area with a small blood spot in center. On his arms are a couple bruises and his bottom lip has a big cut on it. Sunwoo takes Chanhee's small, tender, and fragile hands into his and presses it against his forehead.