Twenty Two

A/N- I just realized I'm severely slacking on showing pictures of how I see the characters. I already showed Gill, Tobias, and I think Ajax, so here's Holly, even though this chapter has nothing to do with her 😂❤️ she looks a little older than how I picture Holly, and Holly is a bit more tan, but she's closest I could find. Enjoy the chapter ❤️

Gill
  "He's right, Mijo, this is delicious! Thank you for bringing me some." My father said with a smile as Tobias left the room.
  "Thanks Papá, it was Toby's idea actually! Some of our friends were supposed to eat with us, but they had to cancel last minute so there was a lot of extra food. Now quit stalling, and tell me about your date!" I was thrilled when he told me he was seeing someone. Even though my parents didn't have the happiest of marriages, he still loved her, and he was crushed when she left us. I just wanted to see him happy again.
  "Well, like I said, she came in for an oil change last week. She brought her little boy too, crazy lil guy. She was still talking to the mechanic and as soon as I stepped out of my office this tiny little child sprinted over to me and hugged my leg. You know, how you used to do I would walk around with you on my foot?" I chuckled and nodded.
  "I remember."
  "Well as soon as she noticed he was gone, she was freaking out so I brought him over to her and of course she was all like 'James, what have I told you, stop hugging strangers!'" my eyes widened.
  "James? Wait, dad...is your date Maya?" He gave me a confused look.
  "Yes, she was your nurse at the hospital, right?" I laughed.
  "Yeah, she was. I knew her before that too, though. James did almost the same exact thing to me at the grocery store." I laughed.
  "Yeah, that kid seems like a handful." He sighed, finishing his dinner.
  "Well I'm really happy for you, Dad." I took my last bite of chicken before sitting back in my chair.
  "So when were you gonna tell me your boyfriend was a werewolf?" And then I started choking again.
  "W-what are you talking about?" I asked when I could breathe again. He rolled his eyes.
  "Well, James kind of blurted it out. Obviously I didn't believe him, but he said 'hi, I'm James. I live in a werewolf pack'!" I couldn't help but burst out laughing. Leave it to a toddler to spill one of the biggest secrets ever.
  "Do I even want to know?" I looked behind me to see Toby at the door.
  "Thanks, love!" I said as he handed us each a water bottle. "You'll never guess who his date is!" He furrowed his brow as he shut the door and sat back in his chair.
  "Who?" I told him it was Maya, and eventually told him about James spilling the beans, making him spit out his water.
  "Obviously I didn't believe him at first, just brushed it off as a toddler being imaginative. But as I was leaving, I saw one outside doing a really bad job of hiding, so I flat out asked if he was a werewolf, and he shifted right in front of me." Toby groaned.
  "What's the point in keeping it a secret if toddlers and shitty trackers are just gonna blow our cover?" He sighed.
  "He said you sent him to protect me, so thank you, Tobias. Though I do have to ask, what exactly do I need protection from?" I looked back at Toby and answered for him.
  "We shouldn't talk about it here. We were actually going to tell you everything tonight, Dad. We think it's best if you stay with us at Toby's house for a while, or with his parents or something." Dad gave us a worried look.
  "Why...Gill, are you in danger? Does this have to do with the break in?" I bit my lip and nodded.
  "Sir, I promise we will explain everything when we get to my house. There could be someone listening." My dad's eyes widened, but he didn't say anything else. He just stood and quickly started gathering our trash.
  "Well, let's get out of here then. Toby, do you mind bringing me back here tomorrow morning so I can pick up my truck?" Toby smiled and nodded.
  "Of course. We can also take you back to your house tomorrow so you can get some clothes and stuff around." Dad leaned and pat Toby on the back.
  "Thank you, Tobias. I appreciate it." No other words were exchanged as we all just cleaned up from dinner and headed out of the office. Toby threw away the trash in the can by the door, and we all headed to his truck. My dad laughed at me when he saw Toby lifting me up to put me in the seat.
  "Wow, I never really noticed, Mijo, but you're tiny!" I rolled my eyes as he climbed into the backseat with ease. Toby just laughed and started the truck, and we were off. We reached the pack house shortly, and my father gaped at the size of it, just like I had done the first time I visited. Toby came and helped me out of the truck, causing my father to laugh at me again.
  "You're so mature. It's not my fault I'm little." I pouted and Tobias pecked my lips, making me smile.
  "Let's go inside, you're freezing." I nodded, and grabbed Toby's hand, lacing our fingers together. The three of us walked inside, smiling at the other pack members that were there. A few of them were in the kitchen attempting to bake cookies, and there was another group in the den watching a movie.
  "How many people live here? Is this your whole pack?" My father asked as we reached the elevator. I was very thankful because I reeeeeally didn't want to climb all those stairs.
  "No, this isn't our whole pack. There are about thirty of us living in this house." Toby went on to explain that only the unmated wolves lived in the pack house and that it's where meetings were held.
  "Unmated? What does that mean?" I blushed and hid behind Toby, avoiding my father's gaze.
  "Well, when we're born, the moon Goddess splits our soul in two, giving the other half to someone else. That person is our mate. What humans call a soulmate. They're our other half." Toby squeezed my hand.
  "So Gill is..." Toby laughed nervously.
  "He's my mate, yes. Every wolf has a mate, but some never get the chance to meet them. There are stories of some wolves getting a 'second chance' mate if the Goddess thinks they deserve it, but it's never actually happened as far as anyone knows." My father nodded. Soon, the elevator doors opened and Tobias led us down the hall to his apartment.
  "My father should already be inside waiting for us." He said as he unlocked the door with his thumbprint. Sure enough, Paul was sitting at the breakfast bar waiting. When he saw us come in, he stood and shook my father's hand.
  "Ivan! It's good to see you again. I hear you'll be staying with us for a while?" My father nodded.
  "Yes, Gill and Tobias said it would be a good idea. They still haven't explained why though, they said people might be listening?" Ivan sighed and nodded and led us all to the sofa.
  "I'm afraid so. First off, I need to explain to you that we are not violent creatures unless we are protecting our pack. Most werewolves are not the vicious beasts we're made out to be. Of course, just like with humans, there are good werewolves, and bad werewolves, but I assure you, our pack is kind and accepting. We just want to survive." My father nodded and continued listening. "There are many humans out there who refuse to accept that. They see us as unnatural and bloodthirsty, so they dedicate their lives to wiping out as many of our kind as they can. These people are called hunters. We first realized there was a group of them in our area when they attacked your son." His eyes widened.
  "The break in? But I thought you said they hurt werewolves?" Toby stepped in and answered this time.
  "They usually do. We believe they were hired by another pack to take him out. Also, Gill's attack happened before I told the pack, or even my father for that matter, that he was my mate, so we have reason to believe there is someone spying on us. That's why I've been at your house all the time, and that's why I had someone watching over you at your work. I was attacked as well, a few weeks ago. I was shot in the side with an arrow. All arrows owned by packs are supposed to have the pack name or crest on it, but this one was scratched off. That kind of confirmed the whole evil pack theory. And just today, I was meeting with another pack and one of the wolves guarding your house was killed while Gill was inside. There were more guards inside with him that weren't harmed, but the fact that they got that close, and this is the first time they've killed someone, really scared us, so that's why we wanted both of you to stay with us until we get this taken care of." My father stared at us with wide eyes.
  "Why would they want to go after Gill though?"
  "I am currently the alpha of this pack, and my wife is my Luna. It basically means we are the leaders of the pack." Paul answered. "Since Tobias  has found his mate and he is my first born, they will be taking over as alphas soon. We believe the pack responsible for these attacks are trying to eliminate the next alphas. Without an alpha, our pack will become weak and easy to take over, then they can come claim our land." My father looked over at us sadly.
  "And you don't know who is behind this? Or who is spying on you?" Paul shook his head.
  "We don't." My dad and Paul continued talking up until I let out a loud and embarrassing yawn.
  "Uh...sorry." I apologized when they all looked over at me.
  "It's okay, Mijo. I think I'm gonna stay with Paul so we can continue talking. You get some sleep." I nodded and stood from Toby's lap, giving my dad a big hug. He kissed the top of my head before pulling away and shaking Toby's hand. The two older men soon left, leaving just me and Tobias.
  "Do you want to take a shower or anything before bed?" I yawned again and shook my head.
  "Carry me?" I asked, holding out my arms.
  "Of course, love." He said with a smile, easily lifting me into his arms. I nuzzled into his neck and pressed a soft kiss to his jaw. He put me down on the bed and kissed my nose before heading to the closet, getting a one of his giant t shirts I loved wearing to bed. He handed me the shirt while he stripped down to his boxers and climbed into bed. I did the same, pulling his shirt over my head and letting it drape down to my thighs. I snuggled up to Toby and smiled. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer, his hand resting on my hip.
  "Goodnight, Gill. I love you." He whispered into my ear. I tilted my head up so I could give him a soft, sleepy kiss.
  "Night Toby. I love you too." I nuzzled my face into his chest and soon drifted off to sleep.
***
My leg bounced anxiously under the table, and my hand shook as I tried to keep a hold of my peppermint tea. I glanced over at Holly who was seated a few tables away, eyeing everyone who walked into the small cafe as if they were acting suspiciously. I had texted her early that morning, explaining everything about the meeting. She was obviously furious, and told me what a dumb idea it was, but agreed to help me anyway. I told Toby that Holly and I were going to study for our upcoming U.S History test at the cafe, where dozens of pack warriors would also be in attendance in case something happened. I hated lying to him, but I knew he wouldn't have let me go if I told him the truth.
  "Gill?" And there it was. That voice. The voice I had once been so in love with. The voice that ripped my heart out of my chest. The voice I had tried so hard to forget.
  "H-hello, Travis." He cleared his throat and sat across from me.
  "Thank you for agreeing to see me. It means a lot."
  "How did you even know I lived here now? I didn't tell anyone when I left. And how did you get my number? I have a new phone."
  "My dad mentioned that he saw you. I looked through his phone. You were in his contacts. I just... I had to see you, okay?" I rolled my eyes.
  "Why, so you can hurt me even more?" His eyes widened and he shook his head frantically.
  "No, of course not."
  "Then why are you here?" I asked, getting impatient very quickly. He took a deep breath.
  "I came here to apologize." I opened my mouth to protest, but he interrupted. "Please, let me finish this before you say anything, otherwise I don't think I'll have the balls to say it out loud." I closed my mouth and sat back in my chair.
  "I came here to apologize for what I did to you. I know saying sorry won't fix anything, and if you choose not to accept it, I completely understand and  I honestly wouldn't blame you. I don't deserve it. Regardless, it needed to be said, and I need you to know what really happened." I lifted a brow in confusion and curiosity.
  "What do you mean, 'what really happened?' You humiliated me in front of the whole school. Even the teachers hated me! You ruined my life for years! Why should I listen to you at all???" I whispered angrily, grabbing my tea and getting ready to stand from my chair before he grabbed my free hand.
  "Please, just hear me out. Two minutes, please. After that, you can leave and I'll never contact you again. I know you don't believe me, and I don't blame you for that, but I really need you to at least listen. Please, Gill. I'm begging you..." He did sound desperate... I sighed and set my cup back down on the table.
  "Fine. But I'm leaving in exactly two minutes, even if you're not finished." He gave me a grateful look and nodded, taking a deep breath.
  "Thank you so much... Okay, the first thing you need to know is that I really  did love you. Fuck, Gill... I loved you so much..." He chuckled and looked away, a sad look in his eyes. "Everything that happened between us was genuine, I swear on my life. I had a giant crush on you since we first met. I think I noticed you first, actually. Freshman year orientation. We were in the auditorium at that dumb assembly. Honestly, I don't even know what it was about. They could have told us the building was on fire, and I would have still been oblivious. I was too busy looking at you..." My eyes widened, but I still felt a bit skeptical.
  "I can tell by the look on your face you're still unsure..." I sighed and rested my hands in my lap.
  "Travis, what do you expect? You didn't just tell everyone I was gay... You made a show of it, to everyone. You humiliated me in front of the whole school. Even the teachers didn't give a shit. For three years I endured constant name-calling, tripping in the halls, getting shoved into lockers. Hell, literally my last day there some dick stepped on my glasses and completely ruined them! And nobody stepped in. Teachers and staff saw me get beat and teased every day, and did absolutely nothing. Not to mention the constant fear that it would get to my dad...you know how fast scandals like that go around town."  He looked down and groaned.
  "I know, and I swear, I regret everything that happened that day. I will never forgive myself for the way I hurt you, and I don't expect you to forgive me either. But please... Listen to me? I need you to believe me...please..." I stayed quiet and studied him. His eyes were getting watery, and his hands were shaking... He was getting scared...
  "Fine. Go ahead. I'll let you finish." He sighed in relief and continued.
  "It took me so long to admit to myself that I was attracted to you...But the day I finally had the courage to tell you how I felt, it was the best day of my life. You were the first person to ever know that side of me, and I fell for you so fast." I started to feel a little guilty for snapping at him as I watched a small tear fall from his eye. Maybe he wasn't lying...
  "What happened?" He sniffled and rubbed his eyes before continuing.
  "I was at the mall...I wanted to buy you a promise ring, and you called me. Remember, it was like a week after we first said I love you?" A smile creeped onto my face.
  "You were getting me a promise ring?" He blushed and nodded.
  "Yes, I was. I was talking to you on the phone just as I was finishing up. You were telling me about a new painting you finished. I was leaving the store when we ended the call, and I said 'I love you, Gill. Always will.' Do you remember that?" I nodded.
  "Yes, I had painted your cat, Chili." He let out a soft laugh and nodded.
  "Yes, the fat king himself. Well, I hung up, and there was Doug. He had heard the whole thing. He was so mad and he was shoving me and he threatened to tell my parents and he went to hit me and I panicked. I told him the whole thing was a joke..." More tears fell down his cheeks. "I regretted it the second I said it, but I wasn't ready to tell my mom and step dad... My mother is the most homophonic person, alongside Doug. But that seemed to please him... He came up with this elaborate plan to humiliate you, and of course I wanted nothing to do with it, but he insisted. If I wasn't a faggot, as he said, I wouldn't hold back. So I did it. I felt like such a worthless human being after that. Not only did I lose you, but I completely broke you. I can never ever forgive myself for that. It took me a long time to even be able to talk about it. It wasn't until about a year ago, when I met someone. His name was Ryan, and I fell for him so fast." He blushed and I smiled. "He was so perfect in every way. He got me to open up about everything, he got me to finally accept that being gay was who I am, and that it's not something I should be ashamed of." He wiped another tear from his face and pulled out his phone and showed me his lock screen. There was Travis and another handsome boy grinning ear to ear, holding each other tight. Ryan was small, and he had jet black hair, an big blue eyes.
  "He's cute." Travis chucked.
  "Yeah, he was." He smiled sadly at the photo.
  "Was?" He sighed and nodded.
  "He stayed the night at my place. My mom didn't know he was there, of course. We were all cuddled up and he was being all cute, kissing all over my face and stuff. Doug showed up...he wanted to take me to some party. He burst into the room and he...he ripped Ryan off me and he started hitting him... I tried to stop him but he shoved me away and I hit my head really hard. My step dad came up and was super pissed and ripped them apart and asked what was going on. 'Your step son is a faggot, that's what's going on. And this disgusting fairy was all over him.' Doug had said. And then they both... Oh god," he dropped his head into his hands and let out a soft sob.
  "Travis, it's okay, you don't have to say anymore." He lifted his head again and shook it.
  "No, I need to say this. I need to say it out loud. Since it happened I've been trying to convince myself, if I don't say it out loud, it isn't real." I surprised the both of us by grabbing his large hand in both of mine. 
  "It's okay, I'm here." He took a shaky breath and continued.
  "They both started hitting him again. I tried to get up but I hit my head really hard and I was so dizzy... I blacked out, and the next thing I knew, I was waking up in an ambulance with a woman I'd never met sitting beside me. She said she was walking home from work when she found me on the sidewalk outside my house. I kept asking where Ryan was but nobody would tell me anything. Not until my doctor showed up. I'll never forget what he said. He took my hands and he said... He said Ryan didn't suffer very long... After the first blow to the head, he was unconscious and didn't feel anything after." He let out another sob and I felt a tear creep down my face as well.
  "He died as soon as they got him in the ambulance. They killed him. They killed my Ryan." Travis broke down in a fit of sobs, catching the attention of everyone in the small cafe, including Holly who shot me a concerned look.
  "Hey, Travis, why don't we go somewhere a little more private, okay?" He sniffled and nodded. "Where are your keys, I'll drive us." He pulled them out of his pocket and  handed them to me as we both stood from our chairs. I looped my arm through his and led him out the door, Holly following behind me.
  "Do you still drive that ugly ass Nissan?" He elbowed me softly in the gut.
  "Don't you talk about my baby that way. And no, sadly, Gloria left me on the side of Canyon Bridge. I now drive a blue pickup." I groaned.
  "Please tell me it's not super tall." He gave me a confused look and pointed toward the corner of the parking lot.
  "Oh thank you sweet Jesus." I whispered under my breath as I noticed the big blue pickup. It was still tall, but definitely shorter than Toby's. And it also had a step.
  "Why?"
  "My boyfriend has a fricken monster pickup and has to pick me up and put me in it every time." I grumbled. He laughed and shook his head.
  "You are pretty tiny." I shot him a glare. We both climbed into the truck at the same time Holly got into her car. I began driving to my house, until I realized something.
  "Oh, shit. Um, hey, since I'm driving can you find Tobias in the contacts and call him?" I handed Travis my phone and he quickly found Tobias and handed the phone back to me.
  "Hey angel, what's up? Are you done studying with Holly?" I coughed and gave a nervous laugh.
  "Well..."
  "Gill...what did you do."
  "So uh...I wasn't studying with Holly..." Silence. "Babe?"
  "Where are you, I'm coming to get you."
  "Relax, I'm on my way home now, but that's not why I called."
  "What is it?" He asked, sounding slightly angry.
  "I was meeting up with... an old friend..."
  "...who."
  "You'll meet them later, I assume you're already at my house?"
  "Of course, I ran here right after I dropped you off."
  "Kay, I'll see you soon. I love you!"
  "Wait, Gill, don't ha-" beep.
  "I assume he's not too fond of me?" Travis gave a nervous laugh.
  "Um...you could say that..."
  "Great. I'm going to die today. I'll see you soon, RyRy, Gloria." I rolled my eyes.
  "Chill, you just stay out here and I'll go inside first, okay?" I heard him gulp.
  "Okay..."
  It wasn't long before I pulled in my driveway. Tobias was on the porch, pacing back and forth. As soon as he saw me, he visibly relaxed.
  "Stay here, I'll be right back." I shut off the truck and climbed out, heading toward my mate.
  "Gill, what the hell is going on? Who were you with? Are you okay? Where's Holly? Who's truck is that? What-" I interrupted him with a soft kiss.
  "Toby, breathe. I'm fine, I swear." He took a deep breath and nodded.
  "I'm sorry, just, you know I'm on edge since the hunters came." I nodded and smiled at him.
  "I know, it's okay. I understand. Which is why I asked Holly to sit at another table and watch, just in case something happened, and there were guards right outside." He nodded and took another deep breath.
  "Okay, who were you with?"
  "I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to get angry, okay?" His eyes widened, but he nodded.
  "You can come out now!" I yelled toward the truck. I heard a door shut, and I kept my eyes on Tobias, in case his wolf decided to surface.
  "Uh, hi.. you must be Tobias. I'm-"
  "You... YOU. YOU'RE THE ONE WHO HURT GILL! I'M GONNA KILL YOU!" I heard a yelp come from behind me.
  "Toby, you promised." He ignored me. His eyes were changing and I could feel his body begin to shake.
  "Hey, hey. Baby, look at me." I forced Tobias' head to move away from Travis. The last thing we needed was for Tobias to shift. "I'm okay, I promise. Everything is okay. Breathe, okay?" Tobias closed his eyes and took a deep breath.
  "Gill...he hurt you..." He whispered, his eyes still closed.
  "I know, but that was a long time ago. I'm okay now, I have you, remember? My sweet love." He nodded and opened his eyes slowly. I was relieved to see they were back to their original color.
  "I love you so much." I smiled and pecked his lips.
  "I love you more." I pulled away and grabbed his hand, leading him to Travis, who looked as though he had a heart attack.
  "Toby, this is Travis. He came to explain and apologize, and I accepted it, so please try to be civil. Travis, this is my boyfriend, Tobias.
  "Wait, you mean it? You forgive me?" I smiled and nodded at Travis.
  "I'm not gonna lie, you hurt me really bad, but there's no use dwelling on the past. We can't change what's already happened. You're here and you've grown a lot since then, and that's what matters now." He looked relieved.
  "Oh my gosh, Gill, thank you so much."
  "Let's go inside and finish our conversation from the coffee shop, okay?" He nodded and lead my former and current loves inside.
  "When did all of that happen?" I asked as we took our seats in the living room. Of course, I was pulled directly into Toby's lap, where he promptly stuffed his face into the crook of my neck and held me to his chest tightly.
  "Six months ago. Wayne, my step dad, and Doug took off, but they finally got caught shortly after you left. They were both arrested and charged with second degree murder. Their trial is an a couple months and I'll have to go and testify. My mom kicked me out and I stayed in a hotel for a couple weeks. That is until my dad eventually found out when he got a call that my mom had been arrested for drunk driving and they couldn't locate me, so he flew down to get me and now I live with him."
  "Wait, you live here now?" He nodded.
  "I start school in two weeks."
  "Why so long?"
  "I'm finishing up the semester online so I can start fresh when the new one starts."
  "Oh my gosh, I'm so excited! Toby, did you hear that? He's gonna be at our school!"
  "Oh joy." He replied sarcastically, his voice slightly muffled by my hair. I rolled my eyes.
  "Well, I'm happy for you, Travis. I'm glad you got out of that homophobic town." He smiled.
  "So am I, even if it's not how I hoped it would be..."
  "A fresh start makes a world of difference, trust me. You know how shy I was. Now look at me, I'm happier than I ever thought I could be." Tobias kissed my cheek at that statement, making me giggle. "You would have never fallen for Ryan like you did, and I could have never even met Toby..."
  "Wait, who's Ryan?" Tobias asked, clueless. I saw the reluctance on Travis' face.
  "It's difficult for him to talk about, so I'll tell you later, okay babe?" He nodded and rested his chin back on my shoulder.
  "I should probably get going. My dad likes to do this stupid family game night with everyone and it's like, mandatory." My eyes widened.
  "Oh my God. THAT SOUNDS LIKE SO MUCH FUN! TOBY CAN WE HAVE GAME NIGHT?" He winced behind me.
  "If you don't make me go deaf first, geez. Sensitive ears, babe." I giggled and apologized with a peck on his nose.
  "You guys are cute together. I'm glad you found someone who makes you happy, Gill."
  "I'm happy you did too, Travis. I'm sure he was amazing." He smiled sadly.
  "He really was." I pulled away from Tobias and gave Travis a tight hug.
  "You'll be okay, Travis. I'm here for you." He smiled and thanked me.
  "Thank you for not killing me." He said to Tobias, offering a hand to him.
  "I'm still debating." I rolled my eyes and gave my boyfriend an annoyed look.
  "Okay, then I'm gonna go before you change your mind. Thank you again for meeting with me and listening, Gill." I said goodbye and gave him another hug before I was pulled tightly into the embrace of my love.
  "Okay, now please explain everything because I'm freaking out." I sighed and looked up at him.
  "Yesterday, I got a text from a number I didn't recognize. It was Travis asking to meet, and I wasn't going to... But I needed to...if that makes sense? Like...I needed closure." He raised a brow.
  "Not like that, dork. You know that. Any romantic feelings toward him disappeared a long time ago. I mean all the negativity. You know...I'm so anxious around people and I don't trust anyone easily...except you. But. You know, the whole soulmate thing kinda helps." He chuckled and kissed the top of my head.
  "I wish you would have told me." He whispered.
  "Would you have let me go if I did?" He was silent for a moment.
  "Touche."
  "I'm not stupid though, I made sure I was protected. Holly was in the cafe with me at another table, and she had a few guard wolves outside somewhere just in case there was an ambush or something." He nodded and sighed.
  "I understand. I'm glad you're okay, and I'm glad you got the closure you needed. I still don't like him though." I laughed and kissed him softly.
  "You don't have to like him...just tolerate him? For me?" I batted my eyelashes.
  "Anything for you, love." I was treated with another kiss.

Oooooh Travis is back. What do you think? Hopefully you enjoyed this chapter and it wasn't too boring. So confession. Travis coming back has been one of my many plans for this story like since I started writing it. So I've literally had the second half of this chapter written in my drafts for like forever, and finally I get to use it! I have a couple other chapters like that too that I'm not quite ready for. I just get an idea for something in my head and I have to write it, even if we're nowhere close to that part of the story 😂
Hope to see you next chapter! Love you