Chapter 59 - Hope Lost

Start from the beginning

Why wasn't he questioning me? Normally, even when he did pry into my mind, he still gave me the chance to answer myself, of my own will. Even when he was angry with me. This seemed like a bad sign, now.

I had counted to sixty three times (and it several minutes had probably passed before I'd even started doing that) before Stillens' expression hardened. "That's a very interesting story."

Interesting? Interesting wasn't good. It was all I could do to keep from holding my breath.

"Even more interesting," Stillens continued, "is the fact that I can't find a single memory in your head supporting it."

I blinked at him. Crap. What was I supposed to say to that? Of course I didn't have any memories exactly like that. Letting him see the real ones would not only prove that I was lying about how Mr. Potter found out we were coming, but also about how Astra and Albus figured out where to go in the first place. Albus had had those copies of the plans in front of him nearly the entire time. Those were plans I stole, which would become obvious as soon as Stillens happened to wonder about why I would lie about that in the first place.

Stillens had turned to the side. He picked up one of the books lying on the coffee table and flipped through the pages. It looked like a very casual gesture, but I was sure it had been calculated to make me uncomfortable. The fact that he wasn't even looking at me anymore meant he suspected enough to not even need to see inside my head to confirm anything.

"Do you know what occlumency is?"

This time, my breath did catch. I tried not to wince; he wasn't looking directly at me, but I was sure he was watching me out of the corner of his eye. "I... I've heard of it."

"You've heard of it," he repeated dryly. He closed the book with a snap and glanced at me, eyebrow raised.

"I think we studied it in Charms," I said softly. All I really wanted was to be swallowed by the couch cushions I was sitting on. "A couple of months ago, maybe. The theoretical aspects." That was true, thankfully.

"Right. I suppose that's the first you'd ever heard of it?"

"I mean, I might have been aware of it before," I whispered, then cleared my throat. I couldn't act afraid. I couldn't act like I had anything to hide. I needed to sound sure of myself. "I've never really thought much about it, at least."

Stillens took a few steps closer to the couch, and motioned for me to stand up. I did, shakily, and tried not to cower under his skeptical gaze. "You see, Wren," he said, "I would love to believe you. However, if you're lying about occlumency, I don't suppose I would be able to tell, would I? Which would be exactly the reason I can't believe a word you say."

I was shaking now, and not able to hide it. I at least managed to keep myself from looking down. "I'm not lying."

Before I even had time to flinch, he whipped his hand up and slapped me with the back of his hand. It was hard enough to make me fall back down to the couch. I lifted my hand to my face. The sting had brought tears to my eyes, and now it felt hot.

As much as I didn't want to, I looked back up at my uncle, now looming over me. He raised his hand, like he was going to hit me again, and I threw my arms in front of my face, cowering behind them like a scared child. I suppose that's what I was.

"Are you going to tell me the truth?" he asked.

What could I even say? My mind raced wildly through as many possibilities as I could think of, but I knew that none of them would really work. Admitted the first story had been a lie would damn anything else I tried to say, and he obviously already knew the first story was a lie. I didn't have any way to explain this. All I could do was shake my head.