Escape

The end of summer is quickly approaching and Bakugo wanted to make the most of it. The thought of falling behind his classmates frustrated him. He wanted to come back better, to come back on top. Although Bakugo didn't want to think about it, the thought crossed his mind nonetheless - would it still be possible for him to be on top without a quirk?

Something cold on the back of his neck snapped him out of his thoughts.

"What the fuck?!" Bakugo turned around to face his attacker.

"You look like you could use a break." Yaoyorozu smiles, offering him a cold energy drink.

Bakugo snatches the drink from her hand while glaring at her. The refreshing liquid cooling him and his thoughts down.

She takes a seat next to him.

"Can you believe summer is already almost over?" She asks him.

Bakugo didn't reply, he just continued to stare ahead. The green scenery swayed with the wind. In the corner of his eyes, he could see Yaoyorozu smiling.

"Are you looking forward to going back?" Bakugo asks.

Yaoyorozu matches his gaze. He could see that she was thinking of something, but was pensive.

"A part of me is excited to go back, but..." she shifted her gaze towards the scenery. "I would be lying if I didn't admit that it's kind of scary that this will be our last year there."

A silence falls between them.

"I just wonder if we're ready, if we'll be good enough."

"We'll get better." Bakugo replied. "No one really starts out being their best, they just work harder to get better."

"Hm." Yaoyorozu rested her head on her knees, looking at Bakugo.

"What the fuck are you looking at now?"

"Nothing," Yaoyorozu smiles at him.

Bakugo glares at her, he couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking about. They had spent all summer together - training, talking, walking to and from each other's houses - but there was still a lot more Bakugo knew he could learn about her. A small part of him wanted to, but an even bigger part of him didn't need to. Pretty soon, this summer partnership would end and they would be back to the way they were before. Simply passing by each other's lives and only interacting when necessary.

"Well, it's about time I head home." Yaoyorozu stood up. "See you again tomorrow."

"Yeah."

---

"I'm sorry! I'm running late!" Bakugo stares at the message he received from Yaoyorozu which was sent thirty minutes ago. She's not normally late, and even when said she was going to be late she would still somehow beat him to their meeting spot. However today would be different. Might as well get shit done. He thought.

A couple minutes after, Bakugo could feel his phone vibrating.

"Hello?" He answered.

"I'm so sorry Bakugo, I won't be able to come to training today." Yaoyorozu explained, a hint of embarrassment in her voice. "I...sprained my ankle."

"Are you o-" Bakugo froze, hearing a familiar velvety voice.

"Let me help you."

Bakugo listened, his grip on his phone getting tighter.

"Oh, please don't worry about it."

"No please, I insist."

"Oi, Ponytail, where are you?" Bakugo asks.

"It's okay Bakugo you - -"

"Where are you?"

"Um, I'm near the convenience store."

"Stay there, I'm on my way."

--

When Bakugo arrived at the convenience store he spotted Yaoyorozu sitting on a bench underneath a tree. Next to her was the stranger they met at the festival. The stranger spotted him first, giving him a friendly wave.

"Oi," Bakugo huffed, out of breath. Ignoring the man next to her.

"Bakugo!"

"Come on, I'll take you home." Bakugo knelt in front of her, motioning for her to climb on her back.

"Oh um, it's okay, I can just call for someone to pick me up."

"I said I'll take you home, so just shut up and climb on." Bakugo replied impatiently.

"My my, you really have a good boyfriend there, little lady," the man commented, eyeing Bakugo.

"Oh we're not like that." Yaoyorozu quickly deflected. "We're just classmates."

"Is that so?"

Bakugo glared at the man.

"Yes, um thank you for keeping me company."

"It was my pleasure," the man stood up and waved goodbye.

Yaoyorozu bowed her head and gingerly got on Bakugo's back. His hands held her thighs tightly and easily stood up.

"Hold on tightly so that you don't fall off."

Listening to Bakugo's words, she leaned towards Bakugo's back and wrapped her arms in front of his neck.

"Who is that guy anyway?" Bakugo asks, as they leave the convenience store.

"He said his name was Kizuto," Yaoyorozu replied. Her words tickling his ear. "He mentioned he graduated from Ketsubutsu Academy."

"He graduated but he's still not a pro hero?"

"He said he's taking a break, just living in the countryside."

"Hmp, sounds like he's just making excuses for himself."

"Not everyone is obsessed with being number one like you." Yaoyorozu leaned back giggling to herself.

"Stop moving or I'll fucking drop you!"

When they arrived at the estate, Yaoyorozu's servants were already waiting at the door. One of them in particular, gave Bakugo a nasty stare. Of course, not one to back down from a challenge, Bakugo glared back.

"Miss, I don't understand why you didn't let us come pick you up?" The butler said as he approached, signaling two others to bring a wheelchair for her.

Bakugo lowered her onto the chair. It was only now did he realize that her servants probably would have brought a car, and her way home would have been more comfortable than his sweaty back. That's probably why she told him not to worry about it. Yet he insisted on bringing her here. Why didn't she resist his request?

"Ah, I wanted to experience being carried," Yaoyorozu replies with a hint of uncertainty. She turns to face Bakugo. "Thank you for carrying me all the way home. I guess we won't be able to train with each other until we're back in U.A."

"I guess so."

When Bakugo returned to his room that day, his mind was still filled with questions: Why did she let him carry her all the way back to the estate? Why didn't he hesitate running to meet her and why did he hate that fucker Kizuto? The more the questions filled his head the less Bakugo wanted the answer. He didn't need to be thinking about this, there should only be one thing in his mind - one thing to focus on.

The familiar chime of his phone interrupted his thoughts. He quickly pulled it out from his pockets and looked at the message sent to him.

"He's escaped."