☆★☆

On Sunday evening, Wes texts him and Jackson is absolutely livid.

Meet me at 3rd and Main. 9pm.

While Jackson's angry at Wes for thinking he can barge into his life again after going M.I.A. without warning, he's even more angry because he knows he'll meet him anyway.

To make matters worse, Jackson cannot focus on his Econ paper, which he had been trying to write when Wes texted him. The words he already cares little for begin to blur and all he can think about is what he'll say to Wes the moment he sees him.

How dare you ask to meet. Nope, too dramatic.

So is this how it's gonna be? Also dramatic.

Tell me about this "business trip". Absolutely not.

Jackson wishes he could talk to someone about this. Is it degrading to meet him? Caleb would know, or at least have a good joke ready. He misses Caleb so much these days that it can get hard to breathe without crying or throwing something heavy at the wall. That constant, ridiculous sense of humor he was so happy and just proud to have in his life as his best friend. You risk the friendship, and for what? Jackson didn't want to be right anymore.

When Jackson arrives at the meeting spot, he texts Wes.

I'm here.

He feels just a little pathetic writing it, and he scowls after he sends it. Then a car rolls up to the sidewalk where he's standing with his arms crossed, and Jackson can't even scowl anymore.

The window slides down slowly. Wes doesn't even look at him.

"Get in."

Jackson thinks of a couple things he could say but when 'Yes, Your Majesty" is the best one he opts for silence instead and gets in the car.

Wes has both hands carefully placed on the wheel. No, not carefully, for that implies caution. While Wes seems overly cautious at all times, Jackson has learned the better word is precision. He knows exactly what he is doing.

As the smooth engine now familiar to Jackson rolls the road under them, he looks at Wes and tries to read his face. But of course, it's impossible to read cold stone.

"You were gone." Jackson didn't know what else to say or if there was anything else to say. The car turns right and Jackson stops himself from asking where they're going. Wes wouldn't tell him anyway.

"I had a business trip." The words sound clipped, like a fact, but Jackson only cares for pretty lies. I had to get away and think. I wanted to make you miss me. I needed space to realize how much I love you. But Wes never lies. "It had nothing to do with you."

"Yes, I know," Jackson says quietly.

"How was the office without me?" Wes asks, his tone lighter but still matter-of-fact. Still just business with him, and it would do Jackson good to remember that.

"Sofia was more obnoxious," Jackson says. "Without you to annoy, she moves on to those most easily accessible. In that case, me."

Wes raises an eyebrow. "She still managed to blackmail me into buying her a thousand dollar purse. But I considered that child's play."

"A thousand dollars?" Jackson isn't surprised, but he is shocked Wes would actually pay for it. "What did she blackmail you with?"

"You already have too much power, Jackson, for me to freely hand over a weapon such as this," Wes says, almost smiling.