Chapter 55

Her words make no sense to me, and I'm still not quite sure who she even is, until Cain's next words.

"What did you see, Katrina?" He asks, a dark shadow falling over his face.

It is only then that I remember that she has the Gift of Sight, and was the she-wolf who had assisted Cain in finding me in Wilson's cellar all those months ago. If not for her, I would be dead right now.

"Your Beta, Axel," She says breathlessly. "I don't know exactly what happened, but he's covered in blood, and he's not moving, you have to find him right now!"

I freeze. No, no, no! Axel was supposed to start his patrol shift in a few minutes, perhaps he already had, and I had no doubt that Katrina's vision was the aftermath of him running into the wolves.

"Katrina, I'll call you back," Cain says and hangs up abruptly. He mindlinks all of the guards on patrol, telling them to fall back and return to the Pack House, including Axel. He sounds calm, like nothing is wrong, but I can hear an almost unnoticeable pinch of distress in his voice.

Axel, are you alright? I mindlink him in panic, and almost immediately, he responds.

Yeah, why? I was about to leave my house for my shift when I got Cain's order. Did something happen with the rogues? He asks in confusion, and I exhale in relief.

Don't leave your house and lock your doors. Do you have earplugs, or something noise-canceling? I ask him, hoping that in case if for some reason, the rogues go to his house, he won't succumb to the rogue she-wolfs commands if he can't hear them.

He pauses. I can find something. What's going on, Ares? You're freaking me out, he says, and I can feel his anxiety through our pack link.

Don't leave your house, Cain and I will be by soon, I tell him, ignoring the question, and he reluctantly agrees.

Cain gets out of his chair. "Stay here, tell the guards what's going on. Your earplug idea is a good one, once they put them in, tell them to go in groups of four to patrol the outskirts of the territory," He commands, his eyes darkening as he heads towards the door.

"No, I'm going with you," I argue, and his mouth sets in a hard, straight line. "Lucas is already here, he can brief them. I need to make sure Axel is okay. You don't have time to fight me on this right now."

He grinds his teeth, and he knows I'm right. Time is precious, and we can't afford to get into a fight when Axel is still in danger.

"There's ear plugs in the garage," I add helpfully, and before we race out of the Pack House, we put them in.

While Cain and I run to Axel's house, I inform Lucas of the situation and give him the instructions to tell the guards. We get to his house, and when he opens the door, I almost cry in relief. I don't know if I would have survived his death too.

Once we're inside and lock the door behind us, we take out our ear plugs. "What the hell is going on?" Axel asks, his voice terse. "Why didn't you let me come to the Pack House?"

"Katrina," Cain answers solemnly. "She saw your death and warned us."

Axel's face twists. "She what?"

"She called. All she said was that she had a vision of you on the ground, covered in blood," Cain finally responds, and Axel's face softens.

"That was nice of her," He mutters, and gets a strange look on his face that I can't decipher. "What now?"

"We'll call her and let her know that you're safe. Your patrol duties are cancelled until further notice," Cain says firmly, and when Axel looks like he's about to protest, he adds, "That's an order, Axel. Not up for discussion.