Chapter 47

Decided to gift y'all with another chapter because you guys are being really nice in the ONYX comments 🥺 There's nothing better than being an author and receiving compliments on your writing.

So a gift from me (your sexy and genius author) to you (my almost-as-sexy-and-smart readers)❤️

Gwen and I continued drinking with Cassia, and she seemed to be in a considerably better mood by the end of it. We stayed away from the topic of mates, and instead Gwen told her stories about the havoc she had bestowed on Blood Lake.

"I swear to the Moon Goddess!" Gwen says through fits of giggling, finishing the bottle of rum. "To this day, Alpha Cain won't let me use the stove in the Pack House."

Cassia howls in laughter, clutching her sides, and even I smile slightly. "You guys are hilarious," Cassia says. "What are you doing for the rest of the day?"

Gwen looks at me, and I shrug. "Do you have something particular in mind, Cassia?" She asks, and I can see the wheels turning in her mind, thinking of how to maximize chaos.

"Are you allowed to use the training center?" Cassia asks shyly.

Gwen snorts. "Allowed? Baby, you're looking at the Blood Lake Weapons Master." Gwen flips her hair and smirks.

Cassia's mouth drops. "No freaking way. I can't believe the Luna and Weapons Master of Blood Lake are seeing me like this," she gestures to herself, probably slightly drunkenly.

"You do look pretty awful," Gwen agrees, and Cassia hits her with a pillow. "Go take a shower and fix yourself up so you look less like a gremlin and more like a person and we can go."

Cassia gets up, and before she leaves, she looks at me. "Thank you," she says quietly. "I needed this."

I nod, and she leaves. I could see why she felt so isolated here. Especially with the harsh winter, it would be enough to drive anyone insane.

"I like her," Gwen says, fixing her hair after Cassia's assault.

"You like anyone who drinks with you," I point out.

Gwen flips me off. "Why do you think we're friends, bitch?"

I shrug. "You annoy everyone else. My tolerance is just higher than most."

Gwen stares at the door Cassia went through. "You know, I fought Jax tooth and nail when he took me from Iron Claw. Literally. I punched two of his teeth out."

I smile sadly at her forlorn expression. "You didn't want a mate?"

She sighs. "I wanted a mate, sure. But Jax was so... serious. I guess you have to be, to be a Beta or whatever. You know he wouldn't even laugh at my jokes?" She asked incredulously.

"What a grievous offense," I agree sarcastically.

"Sorry," Gwen shakes her head, snapping out of it. "I shouldn't be talking about him with you."

"It's okay," I shrug. "It's over with. No point in beating a dead horse. Or, wolf, rather."

We sit in silence for awhile, lost in our own thoughts, and I hear the faucet turn off. A few moments later, Cassia returns, dressed in a pair of jeans and a teal sweater.

"Sit down," Gwen instructs, pointing to a chair. "I'll blow dry your hair. Trust me, you do not want to go outside right now with wet hair."

Gwen leaves, going into the bathroom, and returns with an old-looking hair dryer. "Don't worry, I'll tell Zach to invest in some better hair care products. This is downright a disgrace."