Chapter 62

Double update... But everything requires balance.
Don't know what that means?
You'll see ;)

Thanks to Katrina's warning, I made it home before Cain, though it was indeed a close call.

I practically flew upstairs and threw off my clothes and shoes, and as I did so, I heard Cain, Killian, and Thane enter the Pack House. I quickly turned off the light and jumped under the covers, trying to slow my heart rate and breathing so it seemed like I was sleeping.

He quietly opens the door, and I hear him pull off his jeans and turn on the shower and almost exhale in relief when he closes the bathroom door behind him.

When he comes out, I keep my eyes closed. He slides into bed, pulling me into his arms.

"I know you're awake, pup," He says, sounding amused. "And I know why you pretended to be asleep."

My heart beats faster. He must have seen me running into the house. "You do?" I ask, trying to keep my voice leveled.

"Of course," He laughs. "You couldn't fall asleep without me. You're too stressed about the war."

I laugh nervously. "You know me too well."

Cain kisses the top of my head. "Don't worry, little mate. It'll be an easy victory. Having Killian and Thane on our side guarantees a swift win. And since you'll be far away from the battlefield, I won't be distracted with worrying about you."

"I've fought in wars before," I say, mildly offended. "I wouldn't need you to protect me."

"Doesn't mean I wouldn't try," He says lowly. "I would do anything to keep you alive, I wouldn't be able to think clearly."

I know he would, just like I would for him. I had told Katrina to ensure Cain's safety, even if it meant forfeiting my own.

That night, I hold him extra tightly, something that makes Cain laugh. I couldn't lose him. I would do anything to make sure he survives this.

I hardly sleep, too preoccupied with mentally making a plan on how to take down Selene. Killian is right, she's a God. I can't just use brute force to take her down, even though that's my specialty.

The next morning, we begin training with Killian and Thane's men. I keep a close eye on the clock, careful not to miss my meeting with Killian and Katrina. Killian excuses himself for a lunch break about thirty minutes before noon, winking at me before he leaves.

About twenty minutes after he leaves, I tell Cain that I'm going to go get some food. He offers to come with me, but I brush him off, telling him that he should keep training with them, and so he does, never one to turn down a fight.

I leave the training center, and a voice says from behind me: "So, you're the girl strong enough to have packs go to war over you."

I whip around, seeing the dark-haired male who rolled his eyes at Killian when he showed us his Gift. "Am I supposed to know who you are?" I ask flatly.

"I'm Knox, Beta of Crimson Shadow," He answers. I try reading his emotions, but he doesn't seem to display any.

"Is there a question somewhere in there, or are we just taking turns stating facts?" I ask, annoyed that he's going to make me late for my meeting. "The sky is blue right now. Your turn."

His eyes narrow. "Are you planning something with Killian?"

Jesus Christ, why are all these wolves so positive that we're scheming? I mean, we are, but they shouldn't just assume that.

"What are you implying?" I ask, like I'm taking offense to his words.

"I know Killian well enough to know that he's always working some angle. I want to know what the two of you have planned. He's not telling me, so I'm assuming it's something dangerous. My priority is protecting him, so if the two of you are going to pull some risky scheme for whatever reason, I want to know about it," Knox says, crossing his arms.