Chapter 6

WARNING: This is the second chapter for Lethal that I have posted today. Read Chapter 5 first if you have not already.

Really funny, mate, I snorted at Cain.

His eyes darkened as they narrowed into slits. "What's funny is that you think I'm joking, pup."

I chuckled darkly. No, what's funny is that you think you can stop me.

Cain growled lowly in the car seat next to me. I could feel the tension of the pack member driving through the pack bond link. He was probably worried that Cain and I would try fighting in the back seat while he was driving. If I'm going to be honest, his fear wasn't entirely baseless.

"You forget who the Alpha is. Should I remind you?" Cain threatened, rage seeping into his tone, despite his calm demeanor.

I mean, you could, but I think that would scar the poor driver, I responded drily.

Who said I meant sexually? Cain's voice flooded my mind.

I quirked about eyebrow. Oh, I'm way more likely to get turned on by the whole ''I'll beat you into submission' thing anyways.

Cain growled again, and I could see his canines descend in anticipation. Calm down, Alpha, I grinned at my effect on him. Typical men. So easily distracted. I mean it. You can't stop me from going to Red Crescent when I want to. Well, you could try, but I wouldn't recommend it. You seem to get bent out of shape when I run away, and at your old age, I'm worried about your risk of heart attacks.

Cain rolled his eyes. "First of all, I'm not even thirty yet. Secondly, anyone would get bent out of shape when their mate goes missing, even if their mate is as strong as you," Cain easily reached his arm out and stroked the scar around my eye. "Especially after I almost lost you..." Cain's voice trailed off and I could feel his distress through our bond as he recalled the Wilson incident.

I slid off of my seat and on to Cain's lap. I put my hand on his chest and looked into his eyes. It won't happen again. Jax is dead. Wilson knows better than to show his face anywhere near Blood Lake. Plus, I'm stronger now that we're bonded. I reassured my mate, and despite my words, I could still feel the tension rolling off of him in waves.

"There's no telling what Wilson is capable of. Sebastian has told me that he has a lot of connections, which may explain why Thane is having difficulty locating him. As long as Wilson is missing, you aren't safe. The last thing you need is to be cut loose on his former territory. I made a mistake letting you follow Sebastian alone, one that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I owe Lucas a lot," Cain gruffly stated, and I frantically tried to think of something to distract him, when I remembered the vague comment he made earlier.

You said Thane found something earlier. What is it? I asked him, hoping it would take his mind off of my many near-death experiences.

I was right. His mouth slightly turned up into a faint smile. "Not a what. A who."

I frowned. You said he didn't find Wilson.

Cain's smile widened. "He didn't. He found something much more valuable to him than that mongrel."

Stop being so coy and tell me who he found! I demanded, my curiosity piquing.

Cain's eyes softened, which would have made me melt if I didn't think that was too corny. "His mate."

My mouth dropped open. His mate? Where did he find her? What is she like? Why didn't he tell me he found her?

"Yes, his mate. He found her when he was searching for Wilson, actually. Him and his men found a cabin in a secluded area of the woods and thought that Wilson may have been staying there. Imagine his surprise when his little mate came stumbling out of the house," Cain gave a rare chuckle. "As for why he didn't tell you, its probably because he has his hands rather full with her, I can imagine."

Is she a runner too? I joked, making Cain frown at me.

"Funny, pup. I don't think so. Thane said that she's frightened of him," His frown deepened.

I laughed aloud. Frightened? Of Thane? You must be joking.

Cain rolled his eyes. "She was a rogue, Ares. She's probably grown up to learn to be scared of Alphas."

What pack was she from? I asked, my nosiness getting the better of me.

Cain was pensive. "I'm not sure. Thane said that she gets upset when he asks about her past. From what he tells me, she sounds like quite a strange one."

I didn't say anything while I thought about the information. Do you think they'll have pups?

Cain froze. Oh mate, he spoke through the mindlink, and grabbed the back of my head gently and guided it so that I was nuzzled into his neck. You're going to get yourself upset.

I already am upset, I snarled back. I knew it was unfair to snap at him, but the whole situation felt upsetting to begin with.

He ran his fingers through my hair soothingly. I know that, little mate. Do you think I'm not? I didn't respond, already knowing that I was being unfair. Unfortunately, there's nothing more we can do about it. I'm begging you to please try to let it go. No more healers. You know as well as I do that it's not going to work. I can't bear to see you get your hopes up every time, only to cry for days after it doesn't work.

Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes, and I was determined not to cry on Cain. I can't just let it go, Cain. Even if I wanted to, I can't. It's in my dreams every single night. Moreover, I don't want to let it go. You know I hate how corny all of that Moon Goddess stuff is, but the dreams feel like a sign from her that it will happen someday.

Cain pinched the bridge of his nose. Ares, that doesn't even logically make sense. First of all, don't your dreams end with Wilson killing the baby? When I didn't answer, Cain continued. Secondly, if the Moon Goddess wanted you to have pups then it would have happened. I'm so sorry, mate. I know you want pups but clearly the Moon Goddess has other plans for us. Your dreams aren't signs. They're you coping with the guilt you feel about the miscarriages.

Out of nowhere, sobs wracked my body. Cain pressed me closer to him, and I could feel the warmth radiating off of him attempting to heat up my cold body.

Cain made soothing noises as he rubbed circles on my back. "Shhhh. I know, pup. It will be okay. You have nothing to feel guilty over. It simply was not meant to be, or it would have been. You're the only one who can forgive yourself. I promise the nightmares will stop once you do that. You're the one haunting yourself."

I cried harder. One, because I knew he was right. Two, because I knew I wouldn't ever be able to forgive myself. And three, because I knew that the next thing I would say to him would be a lie.

When the sobs quieted down, and the only sound in the car was the soft rumbling of the engine, I realized that I had actually cried until I was nearly asleep. Before I let sleep overcome me, I mindlinked Cain and reassured him so he wouldn't have to worry about me.

I promise I'll let it go.

Damn that was kinda depressing ngl.