Chapter 11

Warning: This is the second chapter of Lethal I have posted today. U know the drill.

I pulled on my leggings, ignoring the random spots of dried blood on the outside from the earlier massacre.

You know that I can't leave until after the challenge, I told Cain as I put on my sports bra and cropped tank top.

He glared at me as he put on his jeans. "Since when do you care about helping others?"

Since it's not just a random person, Cain. It's Thane's mate, I pointed out. If the situations were reversed, you know that Thane would do the same.

"I am sure that if the situations were reversed, Thane would prioritize his mate over anyone else's," Cain disputed, and pulled me back towards the bed so I was sitting on the edge of it while he stood up, entwining his hands in mine.

He is already dedicating a huge amount of time to find Wilson, I argued back. We owe him. And even if we didn't, I can't say that my decision would be any different. You've seen the way he looks at her.

Cain sighed as one of his hands released mine and he moved it so that he was stroking my cheek. "I know that this is the right decision, Ares. That's not to say that I like it or that I agree with it. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to you because I wasn't there."

Ugh. Too many people referencing the kidnapping today. Relax, mate. I can handle myself just fine. I killed thirteen wolves today while being under a chemical attack.

"You shouldn't have had to handle it is the issue," Cain snarled back, his anger increasing. Ugh, this conversation was going in the wrong direction.

I put my hand on his stomach and traced his abs. But I can. Not to mention, I'm sure Thane is going to increase his patrols while I'm here. I even promise that I won't stray too close to the edge of the border. I promise that I won't do anything to put myself in danger. Besides... I could use the distraction...

Cain's eyes soften. Boy, did I know how to work him. "After the three weeks are up, you're not leaving my sight for months," Cain finally acquiesced.

I smiled and wrapped my legs around his waist as he pulled me up to kiss him.

After a couple of more kisses to solidify the agreement, we went back downstairs, where Thane was sitting with Onyx on his lap on one of the oversized couches.

Onyx immediately stiffened upon our entrance, and I saw her eyes attached to the multiple bite marks from Cain within the last hour.

"My apologies for threatening to take Ares back," Cain gruffly told Thane, and I could tell that it bothered him that he admitted he was wrong. "Of course it would be her honor to train your future Luna."

Thane smirked. "No worries, cousin."

"Onyx," Cain turned to the dark haired girl, who recoiled in fear. "Are you okay?"

Her eyes were bulging out of her head, and I could hear her heart rate spike. "Y-yes?" She squeaked out, and it sounded more like a question.

"Thane, you should have a pack doctor check her out, just in case," Cain commanded, as if it were his mate and his responsibility.

Thane rolled his eyes. "I did, while you were upstairs fu-" Thane paused and looked at Onyx, who was blushing furiously. "I mean, canoodling, your mate."

Onyx looked like she was about to die from embarrassment. She sank in closer to Thane, who, I noticed, always wrapped his arms tighter around her on instinct.