8: Welcome to the party

Start from the beginning

-

From two streets away, I could tell where the party was out. There were cars lined up everywhere. And that was not an exaggeration. Cats flying is barely an exaggeration at this point.

I got out and started walking. When I reached the front porch, I was just about to knock when the door opened. In front of me stood seventeen year old Harry Person, who to me, resembled Michael Clifford. That again was a small exaggeration.

"Hello," He grinned, a wild spark in his eyes.

"Hi.. I'm MJ."

"Welcome, Maya Jennings. Welcome to the party," Harry greeted.

"Thanks."

He stepped out of the doorway and let me in. Everything came at me - the loud music, dancing, sweaty teens, the smell of booze, and the fact I was at my first real party.

"How- how'd you know my name?" I look up at him.

"I make it a priority to know certain things about the people invited to my house," Harry answers.

"That's... interesting." I felt uncomfortable.

Harry seemed to sense my discomfort because offered me a Hershey's chocolate bar and to talk. I accepted with hesitancy. I hadn't seen anyone I knew yet.

"Something's on your mind." He states.

"That obvious?" I murmur.

"Wanna tell me what?"

"Not really." I reply, my eyes searching the crowds.

"And why's that?" He seemed genuinely curious.

"Because I don't really know you except your parties, so I've heard, are legendary." At that, I made Harry grin again.

"So you've heard of me and I've heard of you. You're the girl rising on the popular charts, always looking forward. You have a 3.9 GPA, and are very, very pretty." He says, matter-of-fact like.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't blushing. "So was that last one an observation or information from whoever," I ask.

Harry put his hands in his pockets. At that time, I studied him. He was wearing a white collared shirt with a purple vest over it, black jeans, and some top brand shoes. His hair was spiked and colored black with purple highlights. He had an average colored skin with a tan, I guess, and his eyes were a dazzling green.

Then he caught me staring at him. He smirked but didn't say anything.

"Why do you have these parties?" I ask him, to fill the silence.

He gave me a mischievous look and opened his mouth.

£: Daniel's POV £:
Friday, October 24th
8:26pm

I never understood why people drink alcohol. I hated the taste of it. Plus, we were underage, anyways. Both my parents drink. It's not a pretty sight. Especially since Dad already has anger issues. He was a bomb, always waiting to explode.

To what I was originally going to say, was that Harry's parties are stellar. Always. I've gone to almost all of his parties he's had since I was fourteen.

Jacob and Carter weren't drinking. Brett had had a couple of shots already and Jordan was getting light-headed. The linebacker and the shy kid are the drunk ones. Imagine that.

MJ told me she'd be here, so I was assuming that meant any minute now. I also knew that Jasmine and her cheerleader friends would be here any second.

Brett had picked Rachel up and who knows where they they disappeared to.

Carter, Jacob, and I - back on topic now - are talking about our new plan for the upcoming football game. I was the all-state quarterback. In two weeks, we were taking on our school's enemy, the only other private school in this city.

"We're going to own them if we use play 26." Carter was saying.

I remember how in freshman year, he had hated football. Now look at him.

"No, we need to use play 14." Jacob argues.

I'll tell them which one later. "I'm going to get some punch." I announce, heading away from the football talk.

I walked to the table and started to get a cup when Brianna, Jasmine's friend, came up to me, and purred, "Heyy Daniel." She smiled.

"Brianna." I say shortly.

This girl was as fake as fake could get. I don't know anything real or genuine about her except the fact she was born a girl. She wasn't the stereotypical cheerleader, either, thank God with that one thing. Brianna was Asian so she had a dark complexion, yet she had dyed her hair light purple.

She placed a hand on my arm and pouted. "What's wrong, Daniel? I know you and Jazzy split but that doesn't mean you should swear off girls.. I mean..." She giggled and twirled her hair.

I swear no one is a genuine person these days.

Then I heard her laugh.

Not Brianna laughing, you moron.

I didn't know who it was until my eyes tracked the voice. It was MJ, laughing at something Harry had said. Her eyes were sparkling again and she looked absolutely beautiful. She deserves to be happy - maybe helping her become popular will be what she needs.

"Daniel," A playful feminine said, bringing me back to dreadful reality.

Brianna smiled at me. I looked down at the short girl - she was wearing a very short and skimpy red dress and four inch heels. No wonder she seemed a little taller.

Most guys would've taken a chance at her. Especially considering she was clearly offering. But I refuse to ever be that ignorant again.

"Was there a reason you came to talk to me, Brianna?" I say.

I might as well get this over with.

She feigned innocence. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay after your break up and say that I'm always here for you, Daniel. If you ever need, or want anything."

"Great. Now that we established this, do you mind if I go see some of my friends?" I was struggling to be nice.

She trailed her nails down my chest and I had to force myself not to cringe away. "Of course not, Daniel," Brianna breathed. "Just remember...
I'll be here for you," She whispered.

As soon as my back was to her, I walked away. I scanned the people here. Rachel was now talking to Carter. Brett was getting another beer. Jordan was half-asleep on one of the couches. Jacob was talking to Ally and Carmen. I once again saw MJ with Harry.

At least she's making friends. That's a good start. Even if it is just one friend.

I walked up to them and smiled, feeling good now that I was away from Brianna, even if that is a little harsh. "Hi Daniel." MJ smiled at me.

That's a first. A smile, not forced, came from MJ, to me.

"How're you liking the party, man?" Harry asked.

"It's great." I told him. I then averted my attention to the girl next to him. I opened my mouth to say three different things when the door opened near us.

At that time, Jasmine walked in. That girl, my friends, is the queen, of sexy.

•••
A/N: Daniel still likes Jasmine, I'm guessing? Did she come with Arthur?

I know I'm the one asking these questions but I just finished the chapter so even I don't know.

I really like how this chapter went for some reason. I felt it had good emotion in it.

If you haven't noticed, I'm going to make it official: Every Friday I will update. If I can't, I will try to let you know. I'm in the forensics and that takes up lots of my writing time but I still make time for the story. I hope everyone's doing well, if not I'm always here to listen.

I wish everyone a Happy February.