The Call

Morning came way too early for Andy. She woke up to the smell of coffee and burnt toasts. She rubbed her eyes before pushing the covers away and getting out of the bed. She followed the smell to the kitchen.

"Hey, you're up early."

"Hey, you up already?"

"You left, couldn't sleep anymore." She said, wrapping her arms around the person standing in the kitchen.

"Don't be cute, you didn't even move when I kissed you." The person said, turning around to kiss her lips softly.

Andy laughed at that. She knew she was sleeping soundly, but when she had woken up, she had noticed that the other side of the bed was cold.

"How long have you been awake?"

He looked at the clock on the oven. It indicated 6:00am, so he answered. "About an hour."

"Ok. So, what's for breakfast?" she asked, sitting down on a stool at the kitchen counter.

"Toasts and coffee!" he said triumphantly, placing a plate in front of her. "Eat up, we have to be leaving soon."

"Alright. I know that." She said.

She had been back in that house for a few weeks now, and she was well aware of their morning routine. She quickly ate her breakfast and an hour later, they were out the door.

It took them about 45 minutes to get to the station. They were not too far from the firehouse when Andy spoke up.

"I'm sorry I fell asleep on you last night."

"No problem, you had a long shift."

"Yeah...And I have to rest. I mean, I have this new captain, he's a real pain." She said in a teasing tone.

"So you told me when you came home yesterday evening." He teased back.

"He has us training like crazy. And he's rude."

"I'm sure he'll get better. I'm sure he just needs some time to adapt."

Andy nodded, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

A few minutes later, she made her way into the station. She hurried to the locker rooms, knowing she was barely on time.

"I'm not too late, am I?" she asked while opening her locker, throwing her bag in it.

"No, you're good. But you should hurry." Maya answered.

"Right," she said grabbing her uniform. She quickly went into her bunk to change, which took her about two minutes...She was used to getting dressed really fast. She went back to her locker to take her belt. Once she had put it on, she went to tie her hair in a simple ponytail when she heard someone knock on the open door of the locker room.

"Everyone on the floor in 5." Said the voice without entering the room. As soon as the words were out, the person left.

"Is he going to be a pain all the time? Or is it momentary?" wondered Travis.

"I'm not sure, man..." Dean started.

"Looks like he's always like that..." Jack finished.

Vic and Maya groaned, while Andy remained quiet.

"What do you think Herrera? You're awfully silent over there." Travis threw her way.

"Well...I'd rather not talk about it...He's getting on my nerves already, and we're not even in the same room." She answered, almost slamming her locker door shut. "Come on people, let's go! We don't want him to get even more annoying." She declared as she made her way out of the locker room.