New Captain

Disclaimer: Show, character and dialogs from the show still aren't mine!

This story will follow (or not) the events of the show...But with a twist... Season 1 did happen, except Andy simply flirted with Jack and Ryan. Nothing more...

They all took turn warmly welcoming Travis back. They really had missed him.

"Aren't you supposed to be at home? Resting?"

"I wanted to be here for this." He replied.

Today was the day they would finally meet their new captain. They did not have to wait long before Captain Herrera and Chief Ripley arrived, accompanied by a tall man.

"I'd like to introduce you all to the new captain of Station 19, Captain Robert Sullivan." Introduced Ripley.

They all stared at the man in front of them, trying to decide what was their first impression of him. They listened to him as he gave his speech, and once he was done, they were all pretty sure that they were not going to like him. For some reason, Andy had even managed to go a little against him when he moved their schedule a bit, making their shift start earlier than usual.

"He's going to be a pain." Stated Jack once they were in the safety of the locker room.

"Yes, he is." Andy answered with confidence.

"Do you know him?" asked a surprised Maya.

"No! I...I do not...I just..." stuttered Herrera.

"You sound like you're lying." Travis added.

"I...No!" Andy said as she slammed shut the door of her locker, exiting the room. This was not going as planned. She had been cornered by her friends and she hated it. Since she was ready, she made her way directly to the barn. Soon enough, the rest of the team joined her.

A few minutes later, Captain Sullivan was going to the barn. He had to be tough. He was not usually this hard on his people, but he had to gain their respect first. He could not make friends with them. He was their superior and he had to act like it. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door leading to the barn.

He looked at them before starting to give his orders.

There were not a lot of calls, so the new captain had them training and cleaning all day long. By the end of the shift, the whole team was exhausted.

"He's going to kill us before the end of the month!" said Travis as he got out of the showers.

"I second that" Dean said, as Vic groaned, too tired to talk.

"I'm sure it can't get worse than today." Stated a hopeful Andy.

"I would have never pegged you for the understanding type." Maya replied.

"Well...I...." Andy started. "I really should stop talking" She thought to herself. "I'll see you guys later!" she finally decided to say, exiting the room.

This was going to be harder than she expected, she thought as she made her way out of the station. She decided to walk home to clear her mind. She needed to have a talk with Maya too...How was she supposed to tell her best friend that she was moving out? She also had to come up with a reason why she had to move out... This was getting messier by the minute. She inhaled the fresh air, trying to clear her mind.

Back at the station, Andy's weird behavior had not gone unnoticed by her friends.

"What's wrong with her?" Jack asked as soon as Andy left the room.

"I don't know. She's been acting weird all week." Maya said. "I found her keys in the fridge the other day. When I asked her about it, she just told me that she was tired because of her shift...I know her, she's never that tired...Even after an extremely hard shift...She never acts like that. She even locks the door of her room...Haven't you noticed something?" she asked Jack.

"No...She hasn't been answering any of my calls or texts in a while now."

Maya took a minute to think about that. Andy and Jack had been flirting for a while, but they never took it to the next level. They had not even kissed yet. Usually, they would grab a drink together, or coffee. She had been wondering why Andy was holding back. It actually came up in a conversation once, but her friend never answered.

"You mean she has not been spending time with you lately? She has not been sleeping at your place?" she finally spoke up.

"Nope." Jack answered, putting his bag on his shoulder.

"That's strange. She has not been spending a lot of time at home these past few days."

Jack and Maya stared at each other, as if they were having a silent conversation with their eyes.

"Come on guys, share your thoughts please?" Travis said. Dean, Vic and he had been waiting for more gossip.

"It's just..." started Jack.

"Not like her." Ended Maya.

"We have to talk about it!" declared Vic.

They all grabbed their stuff and made their way out of the station. Each one of them glanced at the captain's office on their way out. The new captain was still sitting behind his desk, looking intensely at something on his desk.

When Andy arrived at the apartment she shared with Bishop, the lights were still out.

"I guess she decided to walk too. Or maybe they went to the bar first." Andy thought.

Not dwelling on it, she went to her room. She opened the door and stood in the doorway, taking the scene in. She had spent a lot of time packing her things. It was not an easy thing to do with Maya always home, but she had somehow managed. She stepped into the room and grabbed one of the bags sitting on her bed. She thought about taking another one but decided against it. She turned around to leave the room, and as she was about to turn off the light, she looked over her shoulder at her bedroom. She would miss this place, she thought before exiting the room. In the kitchen, she wrote a quick note to Maya and stuck it on the fridge. She did not want her friend to worry. Checking that she had not forgotten anything, she exited the apartment, switching the lights off, and locking the door on her way out.

Maya spent an hour at the bar before calling it a night. She was surprised to find the apartment empty when she got to her place. "Where are you, Andy?" she thought. Once the lights were on, she went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. She immediately saw the note on the fridge door.

Gone for the night. Don't worry, I'm at my dad's. Love, Andy.

She sighed as she read the note. She could feel that something was going on with her friend, but she did not know what it was, and she did not like it. She downed her glass of water and prepared herself to go to bed. She was determined to find out what her friend was hiding from her, she knew Andy was lying, she just had to know why. But this would have to wait, she was way too tired to dwell on this.

Somewhere else in Seattle, Andy had finally arrived at her destination. She unlocked the door and made her way into the house.

"Dad?" she called out softly.

"He already left." Came a voice from the couch.

She smiled at the person who had answered.

"Oh, I guess it took me more time than I thought..." she said.

"How was your day?" the person asked from the couch.

Andy put her things away before plopping down on the couch, snuggling close to the person next to her.

"It was good...We met the new captain." She replied with a smile.